Author Topic: Map of Cilfynydd 1900  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Map of Cilfynydd 1900
« on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know if there's a map online for Cilfynydd around 1900?

I have searched Google but can't find one that I can zoom in on to see streets (I'm looking for Albion Terrace). Oldmaps.co.uk requires a subscription.

I'll try the library tomorrow but thought I'd ask ;D

Thanks, Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Rowley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Map of Cilfynydd 1900
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:21 GMT (UK) »
There is an Albion Court on the extreme south side of Cilfynydd, I can't understand why you can't zoom on google? Best wishes Rowley
Davey in Upper Machen, Bedwas, Cascade Glam
Owen Merthyr,Gelligaer area.
Thomas Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil.
Williams,Llangynwyd, Pengam Mon and Glam.
Bevan Mynyddislwyn Pengam and Gelligaer area.
Ellery and Trotman Wooton under Edge,Bristol and South Wales

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
There is an Albion Court on the extreme south side of Cilfynydd, I can't understand why you can't zoom on google? Best wishes Rowley

I can zoom in on google maps but as Albion Terrace isn't there now, I wanted to see where it was in 1901/1911, and if it has been renamed, or disappeared....   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,

Thank you for asking such a simple question, my efforts at trying to find Albion Terrace has been quite an eye-opener.

Can you return to Old-Maps and enter the coordinates 308966 and 192600, when the map settles down firstly select the 1876 1:2,500 map, you will see an area of forestry & fields with the map icon/ marker centred on field number 92 and the Cil-fynydd Inn a little to the left (west) on the banks of the Glamorganshire Canal. It would be helpful if your were to click-Off the Print Extent overlay and also expand the map to full screen, use the + & - buttons below the N, S, E & W buttons to zoom in to the best image map that is available

Next select the 1:2500 map for 1900, what a difference twenty five years has made!  You should now see an Albion Villa under the map icon/ marker.  The Railway has arrived, Albion Colliery has been developed and there is the beginnings of quite a substantial village, however, I can't see an Albion Terrace.

I next tried the 1919 1:2500 map but still couldn't see Albion Terrace, but this was an interesting exercise in seeing the effects of the arrival of the railway upon a formerly rural community in such a short space of time.

Thankyou for asking the question, JohnG. Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks John, I'll give it a try :)