Author Topic: 9th October 1779 Baptism at Brandon for a John ROLFE  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Sue Grindle(Fells)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fells family Babworth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 June 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya ive just joined and saw an old posting .William Fells of Little Morton Babworth is my 3rd great grandfather.His son George is my decendant(Sarahs brother) i haven't any information on Sarah only her birth and Williams wife Mary Highfield.I don't live that far from where they lived,Maltby in Rotherham.Did ypu know William married again after Marys death a lady called Jane Riley

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: 9th October 1779 Baptism at Brandon for a John ROLFE
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sue,
And welcome to Rootschat!  Looks like we are whatever cousins are (how many times removed?) if we share the same gt-gt-gt-grandparents.  I did know that William FELLS married again, yes, and that Jane ended up in the workhouse - if my memory serves me correctly.  Not sure when there was last a post on the Nottinghamshire thread.
I've always wondered what the circumstances were for Sarah to end up in London, marrying a man whose family had been framework knitters in Leicestershire for generations…
Regards, Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 June 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
Just thought I'd give an update into my search for this branch of the ROLFE family in Suffolk/Norfolk, as I've been on a brief holiday in the forest near Thetford.  Some success, and some frustration, as is the norm.
Mildenhall museum was closed on Monday, and the Suffolk Record Office at Bury St E was closed on Wednesday, which is a reminder to always check things out first!
But visited two fascinating and contrasting churches in Feltwell, St Mary - flourishing and in full use and with lots of wonderful features - and St Nicholas, which is, I suppose, a bit of a ruin, though apparently still used twice a year for a service.
But in Norwich Library I found references to two key ROLFE wills, almost certainly direct ancestors of John ROLFE, b. 1779 in Brandon.  That of Thomas ROLFE senior, yeoman of Feltwell, 1714.  79 Melchior is the reference for the Norfolk Record Office.
And Joseph ROLFE senior, yeoman, Feltwell St Mary, 1740. His reference 300 Goats in the NRO.
I must therefore contact the NRO and see if I can get copies.  Very exciting!
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 July 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
...and I know I might be considered as someone who has taken up talking to himself on this thread now!...but, just for the record, and for those who have followed this thread, I did eventually get to the Suffolk Record Office at Bury St. E.  And had a look at the image of the original burial record for that Thomas ROLFE in 1780.  It states: "Thomas ROLFE, butcher".  So definitely not that first-born son and surely that has to be the father, thus widow-ing his wife Alice.
Another juicy piece of info that I unearthed was in the Affiliation Orders (a slightly politer way of labelling Bastardy Bonds!). On July 16th 1810, Anne, a child born to Anne ROLFE on 1st December 1808 at the house of Alice ROLFE.  Father Ellis PECHEY, now in custody in Bury Gaol.
Not sure whether Ellis was being held there so that they could get him to pay maintenance, or whether it was for some other crime committed.
But it does look very much as though this is Anne, the daughter of Thomas and Alice, b.1778, having her child born in her widowed mother's place...
I've also now sent away for copies of those 1714 and 1740 ROLFE Wills from the Norfolk R.O.  And I've also sent away for a copy of the little book:"Brandon 1789 - A Village Fire" by John E. Basham which I read at Bury St E R.O.  Alice ROLFE, widow, must have witnessed this with her three young children.
You're all up to date now...
Keith