Author Topic: James Kennedy (1807-1890) & Culzean Castle birthplace  (Read 1863 times)

Offline elderone1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Kennedy (1807-1890) & Culzean Castle birthplace
« on: Sunday 22 March 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for direction of any records that could identify this James Kennedy and his six sisters. I understand there were several Kennedy "castles", some more humble piles of stones. Uncle Fred's account may relate to Big James birth in one other than Culzean! I received this note when Uncle Fred visited my Dad in the 1980's in Canada. I have most of our Kennedy family records from Ireland.

From handwritten note of Frederic Walter Kennedy (1899 to ?), original with photocopy of Culzean Castle:
"This is the Castle where my Grandfather was born, after Grandmother died he lived with my Father John & Mother Elizabeth: this is the story he told Mother. Big James, Grandpa, had six sisters all older than he was, they abused him continually as he was heir to the estates; at 14 fourteen years he ran away from home and went to Northern Ireland near Ballymena.  (sic) at age twenty one he returned to his parents home Culzean Castle to claim his estates. Three brothers-in-law met him, the three other brother-in-laws had met sudden deaths, the last one, one week previously, was found with a knife in his back in the sands of Ayr.(sic) asked him if he would like the same treatment he said No. Told to get out and never return. He got out and never returned. He married Mary Kyle a very tall red haired girl. Big James was 6'2", they were a very distinguished couple. They had three sons Hugh, John, my Dad and Andrew. Hugh died age 23 from some sickness unknown. My Dad lived 73 years passed on in 1926. Big James, Grandpa, died age 83, I do not know the year but guess it was 1900. Nine years before I was born. Later reading the History of the Kennedy Clan I find mention of the six sisters.  It stated one was left in near poverty at the sudden death of her husband. One of the sisters...
I still try to research the records of the Kennedys, but in the take over of the estates by the usurpers the history seems to fade away.
The Kennedy Clan was one of, if not the most powerful of all the Clans until after the 1800 era. The book I have all testify to these facts...
Sir James Ferguson, the Kennedy historian..
Kennedy (the son of Kenneth) sometimes written Kennedis around the years 1005, 1004....became prominent in the year 1263 when they fought for Alexander III at the Battle of Largs but the Kennedys were prominent in 1243. At one time all the males of the Kennedys were killed in battle except two men. The Gaelic pronunciation of Kennedy was Caenaideach. Ken a day ugh.
Frederic Walter Kennedy 1899 to ?
(Note other research indicates "Big james" Kennedy was born in 1807 and died in 1890).