Author Topic: Johnston Family Derry  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Deedo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johnston Family Derry
« on: Sunday 22 March 15 22:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm need info and I don't know where else to turn so I'm asking for some help here.

My grandmother passed away recently and she received a letter from an old friend who lives in Derry.  I sent her a letter to let her know of my granny's passing and it was returned to me, noting "no longer at this address".  She didn't include a new address in her letter.  I'm looking for a Ms/Mrs. Frances Johnston formerly of 40 Blackburn Cres, Derry(Londonderry). She's elderly I'd say about 90 yrs old.  I'm confident that she's hasn't passed, as the letter is fairly recent, just moved.  I've searched the online NI phone directory and elector roles (from 2013/2014) but haven't really found anything helpful.  My granny immigrated to Canada in the 1980's and I was born, raised, and live there today.  If I can't find her so be it. but I thought I'd give it one last shot.  Any suggestions or info would be very much appreciated. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston Family Derry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
It could be that she's moved in with relatives or into a nursing home and the house has been sold or is rented out now.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Try
www.bbc.co.uk/radiofoyle
This is the Derry radio station.
Maggsie

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I asked a relative of mine (a walking encyclopaedia of the waterside area of Derry!) He thinks the person you are referring to is Frances Erskine Johnston, her late brother Bob Henderson was a principal in a local primary school.

Checking family search site a Frances Erskine Henderson's birth was registered 1918, Londonderry, this would make her approx 97 years old if still alive and I suspect as aghadowey said that she would be residing in a nursing home.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FB19-13K

I think I see her in the electoral roll at 40 Blackburn cres. in 2002.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Its a very small world, isn't
My friends now live in 40 Blackburn Cres.
They are living there over 10 years and felt the house had been empty for at less 1year before they moved in.
It had been her son who was selling the house.
Unfortunately they don't  know anything else
You could try local N.I. paper Belfast Telegraph and try their classified death notices, but I dont know how they keep  them online for.

Sandra

Offline Deedo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your replies!
@ joemc thanks for the maiden name I will look into that.  I may be able to find her son as another poster said her son was the one that sold her house @ Blackburn Cres where I sent the letter that was returned to me.
@ Sandra  It sure is a small world!  It must have been your friends that send the letter back to me.  But I have her sons last name now so I may have some luck.  The letter was recent, unless she's passed since December I may be able to reach her.  She mentioned she moved but didn't include an address.

I'd love to visit Derry, Portadown, and see NI overall someday.  I'm very proud to be half Irish :) 

All the best to everyone.

Offline Ej201

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 August 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
My gran!!

Offline Shane Mathers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 December 19 17:36 GMT (UK) »
My late grandmother is Frances Johnston. She passed away in 2003 aged 85. Before retirement she was Vice Principal of Drumahoe Primary School. She lived at Blackburn Crescent, Londonderry for approximately 8 years.  Before then she lived for several decades at Rossbay, Londonderry where I spent much of my childhood. She moved from here in her later years to the smaller, easier to manage property at Blackburn Crescent. I am her late daughter's only child and live on our farm outside Londonderry. In her later years my grandmother had very poor eyesight and I did most of her paper work for her. I cannot recall writing this letter though. Please let me know what other information you need.