Author Topic: Ann Kelly.  (Read 5123 times)

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Kelly.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your trouble in investigating the Kellys and Gillans. It is sincerely appreciated.

At first glance the 1841 census Peter Kelly family would seem a good fit.  Except for the time frame.

The later census records confirm that Ann Kelly was born about 1841.

The Peter Kelly/Susan Gillon who gave birth to John Kelly in 1939 is a possibility.  Although the Burridge family were Church of England it is not inconceivable that an inter-faith marriage could have taken place.  I don't see any other record for Peter/Susan having other children, particularly an Ann.

Sure would be nice to know more about my great grandmother Ann and great great grandparents Peter and Susan.

An interesting point is that the Peter Kelly in the 1841 census is a shoemaker.  So was Thomas Burridge who married Ann Kelly.

Kind regards,

Roy

Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
What was Peter's occupation on Ann's marriage record?

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 04:35 GMT (UK) »
The copy is has extremely poor legibility and his occupation barely decipherable.  I have had many people look at it but to no avail.     

As I may have mentioned I am an 82 year old technically challenged re computers.   I will try an attachment but may have to wait for one of my grandchildren to visit.

Also, I had earlier indicated I thought Ann Kelly was born in 1841.  1872 marriage cert. gives age as 28.

Thanks kindly.

Roy.
Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy,

I would say Ann's father's occupation is Shoemaker Master (deceased).
Which would fit in nicely with Sancti's 1841 Census find :-\
All supposition at this stage but please  remember because Ann said she was 28 when she married doesn't mean she actually was. Some people could be economical with the truth regards their age especially on marriage certs.

Looby :)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of the death cert.

Ann Burridge died  age 44, on 20 May 1888 at 114 Main St, Glasgow ( registered in Bridgeton)
Her father was Peter Kelly, a Shoemaker ( deceased) and her mother was Susan Gillan  ( deceased)
(Cause of death is hard to read but, something arising from a form of nephritis)

Her widower Thomas Burridge signed the cert. He was a Machinery Belt Maker/ Army Pensioner.

If Roy sends me a PM with his email address, I will forward the cert.

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for you kind interest.

I have sent a PM to Anne with my e-mail address.  Hopefully I negotiated the process properly.  If not I have no objection to adding my e-mail address to this thread.

The 1841 census data really does look the most promising.  Thomas Burridge age on the marriage certificate is 37.  Ann 28.   As is suggested, she may have been a little loose with the facts.
I have encountered this on some Irish census records where each census gives a different date with variances of as much as 10 years.

Shoemaker-master as an occupation for Peter Kelly is very logical and reviewing the document confirms this.  Much thanks.

Is the 1841 census accessible on-line?    If Peter Kelly and Susan Gillan were originally from Ireland, could I assume they were married there?  Most likely some, if not all the children would have been born in Scotland. 

Kind regards,

Roy

Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed the address on the death certificate for Ann (Kelly) Burridge is Main Street.

The 1841 census data from Sancti also happens to show Main Street.  May be a coincidence but gives a little more credence to the fact this is the same family. 

Also noticed Sancti did say the whole family of Kelly's was born in Ireland.  Us octogenarians are sometimes a little slow at 2+2.

Kind regards.

Roy
Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 March 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Is the 1841 census accessible on-line?

http://www.freecen.org.uk/ has transcriptions for the Lanarkshire Census 1841 and 1851.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 March 15 00:10 GMT (UK) »
The Peter Kelly family in the 1841 census seem to have disappeared after that census.  I checked all the Freecen and Family Search census records but came up empty.  Ann(e) Kelly married Thomas Burridge in Glasgow in 1872, but I do not see her in the 1871 census.

No death record for Peter Kelly or Susan (Gillan) Kelly.

The children listed in the 1841 census also do not show up in FreeCen or Family Search.

Although not yet 100% sure this is the correct Peter Kelly family, I am working on the assumption that it is, although Ann(e)'s listed age  on her marriage and death certificates is a deterrent to a  confirmed resolution.

Any ideas where else to look?

Thank you and kind regards,

Roy
Roy French
Mississauga - Canada