Author Topic: Date Plse - Skinny waist - huge arms!  (Read 2764 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date Plse - Skinny waist - huge arms!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 04:11 GMT (UK) »
The mind boggles!  ;D ;D

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 04:39 GMT (UK) »
1896/7 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_corsets

Whalebone and spring steel...and waists got even smaller in Edwardian times  :P I want to see her without that coat ;D

Cheers,
China

Just had a look at the link.  What a sacrifice women made foregoing their new corsets so that two new battleships could be built for the war effort in WW1.

Cazza, I don't know about the corsets rusting in the rain, but how would you get through the metal detectors at the airport?  I have enough trouble with my Pacemaker.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 05:41 GMT (UK) »
1896/7 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_corsets

Whalebone and spring steel...and waists got even smaller in Edwardian times  :P I want to see her without that coat ;D

Cheers,
China

Just had a look at the link.  What a sacrifice women made foregoing their new corsets so that two new battleships could be built for the war effort in WW1.

Cazza, I don't know about the corsets rusting in the rain, but how would you get through the metal detectors at the airport?  I have enough trouble with my Pacemaker.

Oh that made me laugh!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  My poor mum has the same issue with her hip!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Bizarre looking coat.  How small is her waist…ridiculous!

Caz
It will ride up with wear (her waist) ;) ;)
apologies to Mr Grainger....... are you bring served?
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Reminds me of the current criticism of the new Disney film Cinderella over the actress' tiny waist. If you haven't seen a picture just google it - I won't post it in case of copyright.
She said in an interview she was tightly corseted - will this start a trend? (Not for me that's for sure.     ;D )

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 20:04 GMT (UK) »
It's been a trend for about 20 years apparently, the difference between now and the Victorian age is that now it's optional, and children aren't being bolted into the things while their bones are still pliable. Thankfully.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Well at least a shoulder bag would stay in place with those elevated sleeves :D :D :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Bizarre looking coat.  How small is her waist…ridiculous!

Caz
It will ride up with wear (her waist) ;) ;)
apologies to Mr Grainger....... are you bring served?
Joe

One of my favourite shows from long ago!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Reminds me of the current criticism of the new Disney film Cinderella over the actress' tiny waist. If you haven't seen a picture just google it - I won't post it in case of copyright.
She said in an interview she was tightly corseted - will this start a trend? (Not for me that's for sure.     ;D )

Pat

Hi Pat

I wasn't aware of this, but you would think they would have learnt after all the criticism over the Barbie doll over the years and her unrealistic body proportions, and the bad influence on young minds this has.  Having said that though, you have reminded me of the photos of my daughter at Disneyland with the  female characters e.g. Cinderella, Snow White etc and you would swear these girls have had a couple of ribs removed to give them their figures in line with the movie images!  >:(

Caz