Author Topic: NSW Electoral Roll; research into antecedents NOT valid reason to inspect NSW ER  (Read 1079 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile

NSW Electoral Commission's website has the following
"To quote from the policy regarding access to information by the public:-

“The PEEA enables the Electoral Commissioner to determine the manner and form of access to rolls and enrolment information; this includes the manner in which a copy of a roll will be made available for public inspection.
In order to satisfy its obligations under the PPIPA, the NSWEC has implemented a procedure recommended in guidelines issued by the Privacy Commissioner that requires any person attending for inspection of a roll to complete an application form confirming that inspection is for a purpose relating to the purpose of the roll or the Act under which the roll is kept.

The NSWEC will refuse access to the roll if an applicant fails to complete the Application to Inspect Electoral Roll - State Districts or Application to Inspect Electoral Roll - Council Areas, provide photo ID or fails to indicate an appropriate reason for inspecting the roll.

The purpose of public inspection of a roll is to ensure a degree of public transparency and accountability in terms of accuracy of enrolment information and to guard against electoral fraud.

Inspecting the electoral roll for the purpose of sending persons unsolicited mail is not a purpose relating to the purpose of the roll or the Act under which the roll is kept. Further, persons seeking to find out the address of  acquaintances and/or relatives in order to renew contact, persons seeking to undertake research into their antecedents, solicitors seeking information for the completion of probate processes or Councils seeking to augment their mailing lists are not considered by the Electoral Commissioner as valid reasons to inspect electoral rolls.

A person inspecting an electoral roll at our office may take hand written notes but are not permitted to copy or record the information in any other way.”

http://www.elections.nsw.gov.au/enrol_to_vote/access_to_the_roll

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just as well I did my NSW ER research when the rolls were readily available and I could look up where my rellies, deceased or otherwise, were enrolled to validate my known info, often from actually spending school holidays with those rellies when younger.

Yes, for as long as I can remember, you could only view and then write down the info in your own handwriting on your own supplied piece of paper, BUT I notice that NOW you need to provide your personal details, including photo ID and complete a form and give an adequate (valid) reason for looking ..... SO DONT GIVE 'FAMILY HISTORY' as a reason.

:)  :)  :)  Here's the possible weasel words that will allow you to access the public rolls :
"The purpose of public inspection of a roll is to ensure a degree of public transparency and accountability in terms of accuracy of enrolment information and to guard against electoral fraud."

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(

The QEC are much the same.  They even closed some of their suburban offices (like the one near where I live!) so you have to go into the city and jump over hoops, these days.

They said it was mainly because of the prevalence of identity theft!

But you can still look up past rolls at State Library on microfiche, to your heart's content.
The 'prohibition' only relates to current rolls, in Qld at least, or so it would seem.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I have sent email enquiry to NSW State Library asking for update re their ER holdings.  Last time I asked it was only to 2008, and there's been couple of elections since then  :) so where are those ERs

I will pop answer on this thread when it comes in.... usually takes about a week for response.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Electoral Roll; research into antecedents NOT valid reason to inspect NSW ER
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 10:57 GMT (UK) »
At SLQ you can get up to 2014, according to their screed on electoral rolls.
All on open access.
I've only used them up till about 1990 though, so far.

But they are only for Queensland, of course.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)