Author Topic: TATE Godfrey c1780-1851 names of parents  (Read 4928 times)

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TATE Godfrey c1780-1851 names of parents
« on: Monday 23 March 15 07:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out the parentage of Godfrey TATE who married Ann BANKS in 1812 and Ann EVISON in 1824. He died in 1851.

There is a will in 1818 for Godfrey TATE’s uncle also called Godfrey TATE that gives some good leads but I haven’t been able to get anywhere with them.

From manxnotebook wills
1818-2 E       
TATE Godfrey d Oct 1818;Douglas;
nephew Godfrey Tate + Robert Douglas (in right of wife Jane niece to Godfrey)  jt admrs as both only next of kindred;
pledges William Banks (Douglas) + Robert Fargher(Ramsey);
Godfrey Tate petns - states died intestate + without lawful issu
e

Does anyone know anything about Godfrey TATE who died in 1818 in Douglas? I can’t find anything about him.

I don’t know if he married but I do know that he had no children and did have at least one sibling. His niece Jane married Robert DOUGLAS sometime before 1818.

I assume that the nephew named Godfrey TATE is the person I am researching. If so then the older Godfrey TATE is his father’s brother and should eventually lead to the name of Godfrey TATE  jnr’s father.

Jane who married Robert DOUGLAS is Godfrey snr’s niece and presumably Godfrey jnr’s sister or cousin.  What is her surname and who are her parents?

Any leads on the older Godfrey, Jane (surname unknown) or Robert DOUGLAS would be much appreciated

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TATE Godfrey c1780-1851 names of parents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 15 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Found this from "Johnson's historical, topographical, & parochial illustrated guide, and visitor's companion to the Isle of Mann":

Lonan parish
There are not many gentlemen's seats in this parish. Ballamenagh, the seat of Godfrey Tate, Esq., Captain of the parish; and Baljean, of John James Moore, Esq., however may be mentioned.

Ah! I see from Culturevannin.im that Godfrey Tate was Captain of the Parish from 1837 until 1848?!

I can't see anything that you don't already know on iMuseum?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Godfrey Tate + wife Ann sold some property in Douglas to Edward Forbes in 1815 which they noted as having jointly (ie Tate + Forbes)purchased in 1810 (prob thro court in 1812 as there is a deed in this year but I've not yet seen it) so looks as tho your Godfrey junr? was in Douglas at that date + associated with Edward Forbes (father of the naturalist Edward Forbes and later on a disgraced banker - there are several other property deeds involving this pair) - the Lonan property was bought c 1815 so prob bought by Godfrey junr but again I've not yet seen this deed.

The Forbe's family was orig from Watertown but had been 3 generations on IoM

a Sergt major Godfrey Tate (of Royal manx Fencibles) was adjutant of Southern Manx Volunteers in 1807 - probably the younger Godfrey -  in 1810 one of the lieutenants in same regt was Edward Forbes so they probably knew each other well from this - the Lonan property was bought from another military contact Robert Cunninghame

the RMF recruited quite widely including from Ireland - in major Shaws company muster list from 1790 onwards is noted a Godfrey Tate described as age 31 5ft 11 fresh complexion, dark hair grey eyes a shoemaker from Ireland who joined 24 May 1794 - my guess the same man who worked his way up
(I have transcribed one company of the 3 - on my MNB CD) but this is as yet only a copy from the microfilm in Manx Museum
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
correction - I was working from a poor copy of a scratched microfilm with both entries x'd thru indicating they left prior to final muster but today called out original from Museum
There are two adjacent Tate entries - that I gave was actually John #130 in list he joinded 10 June and was 31 (rest of description applies to him) - he was promoted to sergeant on 6 June [?1794]
Godfrey #129 in list joined 24 May 1794 and was 16 height 5ft (but blank where inches usually are), fresh complexion, dark hair bluish eyes noted as baker (seems a bit young for what is normally an apprenticed trade) born Ireland and discharged 2 Jul 1795 to join the 2nd [Battln] of Royal Manx Fencibles (as were several others)

Tate is an unusual name on Island - strange that both joined fairly close together (list is in date order) - a John Tate is noted as a miller in other docs - there is also a burial of a Mary Tate in malew

It is extremely unlikely you will find any family details in any usual Manx official records - the best hope is to hope for some private family papers to have survived (possibly in Manx Museum)- many Irish joined the RMF around this period as there were problems in Ireland

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 March 15 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou  KGarrard & Frances-mnb for your great input.

It seems Godfrey TATE the younger settled into IOM life and was doing remarkably well by the 1810s, having arrived as a 16 year old baker from Ireland in 1794, and holding the position of captain of the parish for 11 years in later life.

Given that TATE is an uncommon name in IOM, I did a bit of hunting to try and work out if any of the TATE males born in the late 1700s were related.

There are two possibilities John TATE and William TATE

William TATE

1812 William TATE private in the 11th regt Metter?? [see image attached] married Anne SAYLE Oct 1
Can’t find William in 1841 census not any other details about him or Anne  after birth of child Sarah in 1827

John TATE

1821 John TATE bachelor of Kirk-Braddan married Mary DOUGLAS spinster of K-K Lonan 8 Dec

1841 census John TATE born Ireland c 1791, other household members were his children Robert 16 Mary 12 Elizabeth 10 & Margaret TATE 3

The Mary TATE burial of Feb 1841 is likely to be Mary DOUGLAS wife of John TATE.  John & Mary's last child Godfrey TATE was born May 1840 & died Sep 1840.  Interesting that they named their child Godfrey. Assuming Mary died before the census Jun 6 1841, then the burial date fits.

I can’t find John TATE in 1851 census so assume he died 1841-1851 or left the island

Still trying to find out who Godfrey TATE the elder was, also Jane his niece who married Robert DOUGLAS.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 March 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
regiment was 11th Royal veterans - based on Island 1811-1815 - they did some construction work on Island; disbanded Jul 1814 according to some records but left July 1815 brief entry on my website www.manxnotebook.com/history/military/regts.htm

godfrey was C.P. [capt of parish] in 1823 (acc to directory) - title usually given to one of largest landowners - money prob via 1st wife ?