Author Topic: Ospringe Parish Boundries  (Read 2142 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Ospringe Parish Boundries
« on: Monday 23 March 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Morning

Before it was annexed to Faversham in 1935, can anyone confirm what the parish boundries were for Ospringe?

I have a family living there between the 1891 and 1911 census'. Depending on what census or vital records I look at, the family can be listed as being in Ospringe or Faversham.

There are two roads in particular they were living at, both north of the A2 aka London Road:

Ospringe Street - At the end where it joins Lower Road
Wallers Road - Almost joins up to the A2

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ospringe Parish Boundries
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jibba

If you have sight of the census enumerator sheets the Ecclesiastical Parish is stated in the top right corner.

Failing that The Faversham Society have always been tremendously helpful for this sort of thing.

Hope that helps

Peter
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 07:55 GMT (UK) »
This might help too

http://maps.familysearch.org/#search

...which, in my reckoning, puts them both in Faversham
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link to the map. Will be very handy for other similar queries.

Your right. Both roads come under the Faversham jurisdiction in 1851, although they are very close to the Ospringe borders

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jibba,

From at least 1881 up to 1901 the south side of Ospringe Street was included as part of Ospringe civil parish and deemed to be in the village of Ospringe.  The north side of Ospringe Street was in Faversham parish.  Waller's Row, was deemed to be in Faversham parish for the same time period. 

This is one of those really good teaching examples where if a family moves across the road they find themselves in a different parish - it happened frequently in London and the Metropolis but also happened in the larger towns elsewhere.

More specifically:
1881 south side of Ospringe Street, Whitings Square and Wellbrook Place were considered part of Ospringe civil parish and part of the village of Ospringe, includes the Anchor Inn on Ospringe Street

1891 south side of Ospringe Street, including Ospringe St. Square, the Mayor's Arms, Anchor Inn, and Crown Inn.

1901 south side of Ospringe Street included in Ospringe civil parish mostly now occupied by families rather than inns.

I hope this helps a bit.

Sincerely,
Susan

Morning

Before it was annexed to Faversham in 1935, can anyone confirm what the parish boundries were for Ospringe?

I have a family living there between the 1891 and 1911 census'. Depending on what census or vital records I look at, the family can be listed as being in Ospringe or Faversham.

There are two roads in particular they were living at, both north of the A2 aka London Road:

Ospringe Street - At the end where it joins Lower Road
Wallers Road - Almost joins up to the A2
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE