Author Topic: Whitticase, John and Mary, John was born about 1725 & Mary about 1722  (Read 5315 times)

Offline lkgwilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitticase, John and Mary, John was born about 1725 & Mary about 1722
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 15 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I have been working on this family for so long and the Whitticase's have definitely challenged me. I have talked with my sister's husband and he also said with the Whittaker's, he has never gotten back more than 3 generations:
Himself Rod:23 May 1944
His father: John William Whitticase DOB 07DEC1908
His Grandfather:  he believes was William John Whitticase: died 26 Mar 1940. I know this is the correct one because Rod's Grandmother was Nelly Elizabeth Neave born 18 Feb 1885 and I did find information where they were married.

Where this gets a little murky is: I have not found his Grandfather anywhere as William John, only as John Whitticase married to Nelly

There was another John William Whitticase's from Newtown Montgomery Shropshire, but Rod says he believes that person is from another branch of the family. 

This is as far as Rod had gotten.  I live in Virginia and the different names and places in Great Britain confuse me a bit.  His Mother's side was Kitchen and they have been an easier trail to follow, so I have found other Whitticase's thru marriages,but I can only state with certainty I am sure of the first three, other then the Grandfather's name. I joined the National Library of Wales after your feeback, but I feel a bit like I am in a maze. This seems to be turning into a book. I just wanted to connect with you and thank you again, as you seem to find things so fast.. I will be visiting England, Ireland, Wales in July. I will be staying with my sister and Rod.
  I digress. Thanks Again. I just retired and now I will have more time to try to learn how to do this.

Best Wishes,
Linda

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 March 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I have every sympathy with your difficulty,the variants are legion and it seems at times that the Whitticase variants merge with the Whittaker variants.

I have taken the line so far from census data as follows

1901 John Whitticase(John William's father) is in his home town Churchstoke.Forden,Montgomeryshire with his father William(given born 1842) and mother Martha.
Interestingly,Williams's sister Jane,aged 69(given born Montgomery) is with them.

There is a family with a William and Jane who match this profile in Montgomery in 1841(Stalloe House?) and 1851(Little Weston Cottage).Parents are Edward and Ann,hence my comment re marriage.
It gets more difficult before census(1841) and civil registration(1837) start.I haven't found yet found a confident record for the parents of Edward.

Regards
Roger

Offline lkgwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Roger, It encourages me to think I am not dull on this. I really appreciate your help. I am going to take the information you have sent and start from the beginning..
Best Wishes
Linda

Offline lkgwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 March 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Roger, I have spent the day looking at some of the census where Jane shows as a sister and I think I need to back away from Mary and John and look to Edward ( the one you mentioned). I think I have been trying to fit John and Mary in a place where they don't belong. Again, Thank you...

Regards,
Linda

Offline lkgwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 April 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,
With your help and the help of another ancestry person, I am not even sure about the above the John and Mary above. I have a lot of sites to learn to use.. I have gotten further then before. I spoke with Rod and he says he may of heard of a maiden Aunt Jane but could not be absolutely sure. I decided to go with it.. So Now as (John Whitticase Birth 1882)Father I have William Whitticase B Jan 1842 Wales. D Mar 1916 Wales. Williams wife is Martha Evans B 1837. D April 1913 Montgomeryshire.  So Edward and Ann are the parents of William Whitticase. Edward B 1801 Wales and D 1867 Montgomeryshire?? Ann Birth 1802 Montgomeryshire, Wales and D January 1869 Montgomeryshire. Sometimes they are in the England Census. So I have made progress. I am trying to get into the parishes in Montgomeryshire, but I hit a wall and can't seem to call them up. I was going to join Findmypast, but I noticed several people on roots chat in the writings did not seem to be to positive about it.  Anyway I just wanted to thank you for helping me down the correct road. So I am back to my researching.

Kindest Regards,
Linda