Author Topic: New info on my Wall family just gives me more questions.  (Read 9109 times)

Offline RichardFallows

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New info on my Wall family just gives me more questions.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 May 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello
My name is Richard and I hope I have some useful information for you. My Mother Kathleen nee O'Neill is the daughter of Mary O'Neill nee Wall, of Gurteen Tipperary. My grandmother Mary had an uncle named Jim Wall who raised her, as her mother Kathleen Wall, Jim Wall's sister, left her as a child and moved to England. My grandmother is still living in Gurteen today and is one of the last of the original Walls in the area. I hope to hear from you soon. Many thanks Richard. My email address is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 May 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard, great to hear from you. I do have Walls from Gurteen but I don't think I have recent enough info. The Mary Wall I know about is not still living, she was born 1893! If you look at reply 3 from myluck you will see the family and link to the census. In the more recent generations my Husbands Grandad was born in Gurteen he is the William in the family in reply 3, his family were born in 2mile boris they were Ellen known as Nellie, 2 sons Willie and Tony who both went to the UK all 3 are deceased his 4th child is still living so I can't put her details here.
 You need to make one more post on here and then we can use the private message system. Perhaps your grandmother knows of the family of Walls from 2mile boris, you didn't give any dates but I am guessing that she is possibly their generation?

Look forward to sorting it out.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline RichardFallows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you from your message, the reason why I found this link is my mother Kathleen O'Neill born 5/6/61,
is trying to trace some information on her grandmother Kathleen Wall, Sister of James and mother to my grandmother Mary born 1927 in Gurteen. We've spoken to my grandmother Mary and we've managed to find some information which may help you. According to my grandmother, Larry Wall was a first cousin to James Wall, Larry Wall was a famous fiddle player. James's other sister Mary married a Bill Hayes who lived next door, and has remained a home to the Hayes up until the death of Tom Hayes three years ago, his nephew Gerry Lynn is now the owner of the cottage. Also worth mentioning my grandmother said her grandfather was a William Wall from the Commons who was a postman, and the name Bill Wall from Littleton was named too, we are going to Ireland next month and I will do some more research. I would say there is a good chance of a family link, between your own research and Walls & Hayes in Gurteen. There was a coalmine operating in Gurteen up until 1987 when it finally closed. Look forward to hearing from you,
Best wishes Richard.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Yes they are the same family, some of our Walls were Miners and they moved to Littleton. They also have Hayes cousins. The fiddle player is also a cousin. I have sent you a private message with more details this is just to let Rootschatters know that some cousins have been successfully connected thanks to Rootschat.
 I shouls also mention that I connected to some distant Wall cousins in Canada thanks to info found for me in particular by myluck so thanks again to all on Rootschat.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update and glad to be of help
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline mfitzpatrick_steed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 August 23 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this post dates back to 2015, and don't know if you've resolved your questions. But Thomas Fitzpatrick and Ellen Wall are my g-g-grandparents. Patrick Fitzpatrick and Mary (Minnie) Ryan are my g-grandparents, and Ellen (Nellie) Fitzpatrick Nevin (b. 1905-d.1971) was my grandmother. If you need any help with that branch of the tree, please feel free to reach out.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 August 23 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this post dates back to 2015, and don't know if you've resolved your questions. But Thomas Fitzpatrick and Ellen Wall are my g-g-grandparents. Patrick Fitzpatrick and Mary (Minnie) Ryan are my g-grandparents, and Ellen (Nellie) Fitzpatrick Nevin (b. 1905-d.1971) was my grandmother. If you need any help with that branch of the tree, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks for the message. I did indeed resolve a few questions and make some new connections with the help here, but there are always more to be discovered. I didn't really delve too far into the Fitzpatricks, but I am always interested to find out more. Nellie Wall who married Thomas Fitzpatrick was my mother-in-laws grandfather's sister, I do remember her talking about her father's cousin 'Larry Wall the great fiddle player' who was of course one of the Fitzpatricks.
 I would like to make contact with you, I see this is your first post you need to make 3 posts for us to be able to communicate by private message.

Regards
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 August 23 07:46 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, mfitzpatrick_steed  :)

A marriage for Ellen Walle in civil reg. index Callan reg district 1874 vol 4 page 581 and Thomas Fitzpatrick on same page - a probability?
annclare
Thank you very much Annclare, that looks good,I will send for that cert

Here's the link on IrishGenealogy for that 31 January 1874 marriage (writing poor)-

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11232/8117960.pdf

Married at Ballingarry RC Church. Fathers William Fitzpatrick a labourer (dead), and James? Walle a labourer (alive).

Ballingarry village east of Killenaule.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5477852#map=17/52.58682/-7.54127

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline mfitzpatrick_steed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 August 23 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Happy to help -- I have a pretty extensive tree and research done on my Fitzpatrick/Wall side, so whatever I can contribute, I'm happy to do so.