Author Topic: William SCOTT, writer (to the Signet) in Dundee in 1808, also Henry CLEPHANE W.S  (Read 5258 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William SCOTT, writer (to the Signet) in Dundee in 1808, also Henry CLEPHANE W.S
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Leith Post Office Annual Directory 1815

Clephan (sic) Harry, esq, W.S, 67 Queen Street

Thank you.  So Henry/Harry lived in Edinburgh, not Dundee.   That is very helpful.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William SCOTT, writer (to the Signet) in Dundee in 1808, also Henry CLEPHANE W.S
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
He was at Queen's Street in 1798 - but may have been No 63, not 67.

Offline Oliveja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 April 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
My mother Mary Elliot Oliver (Scott) was the daughter of John Elliot Scott born in Dundee who was  son of William Scott, Solicitor in Dundee. To the best of my knowledge he was not a WS - happy to provide further information about him if necessary.

JO

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you JO.  I can see an announcement in the newspaper when the daughter of a John Elliott Scott married in 1863, but that seems too early to be the correct family.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 April 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
I had forgotten my undertaking to check the List of Members of the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet for William Scott, but I have now done so. There is no listing of William Scott in Dundee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
In my copy of the book LIST OF WRITERS TO H.M. SIGNET 1594-1890

Page 40: CLEPHANE, HENRY. 30th January 1798.
Apprentice to William Lumsdaine.—Fifth son of George Clephane of Carslogie, Fifeshire.
Died 18th October 1818.

Page 182: SCOTT, WILLIAM, of Teviotbank. 23d May 1808.
Apprentice to William Riddell.— Only son of John Scott of Glenormiston, Peeblesshire,W.S.
Born 1782. Died 18th August 1841.
Mar. (1) 22d September 1808,Miss Jordan of Edinburgh; and (2) 9th October 1816, Margaret, second daughter of Dr, Duncan, Edinburgh.

Page 181: SCOTT, JOHN, of Glenormiston. 26th February 1784.
Apprentice to Cornelius Elliot.—Youngest son of William Scott of Woll, Roxburghshire.
Died 24th March 1803.
 Mar. Beatrice Caverhill
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.