Author Topic: Elizabeth Mackenzie  (Read 3596 times)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Mackenzie
« on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, am often guilty of not giving much information in my quest to catalog the names of the Scottish Women's Hospital members who served during ww1, this one is no different. :(  Elizabeth served as a nurse in Serbia during ww1 but i have her listed as working  at Stewartry Hospital Castle Douglas. Can anyone shed any light? i know very little there to go on but that's all in her records.

Alan

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Mackenzie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
This is the only nurse with the name Elizabeth Mackenzie in the N A Kew database. As the pages are distorted the only thing I can really make out is that this Elizabeth was from Scotland. You have to pay £3.30 to download the pages and it may not even be the person you are researching.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10798247#imageViewerLink

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 15 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry records for the British Committee,of the French Red Cross have a nurse Elizabeth
Mackenzie who was entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medal. Having served in a
theatre of war between April 1915 & September 1915.
Does not give much more than that. If you want full details send me a PM with email.

Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Rusty57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 16 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

I've just noticed this, which was a while ago, so you may already have this info.

The British Journal of Nursing, 1913, Aug 9th, p111

Appointments - Matron
Infectious Diseases Hospital, Kirkcudbright, Castle Douglas - Miss Elizabeth Mackenzie has been appointed Matron.  She was trained at Knightswood Infectious Diseases Hospital, Glasgow and has held the position of Matron at the Peterhead Burgh Infectious Diseases Hospital, and Eastlands Hospital, Galashels.

1901 Scotland Census, parish Renfrew, ED. Knightswood Hospital

Elizabeth Mackenzie, age 27, occupation Nurse, b Glasgow

There is also a snippet in Dumfries paper when she went to Serbia, but I will have to look it out.

They were quite a bunch of women (& men). Came across your site.  The aunt-in-law of my husbands aunt (still with me!!) was Agnes Atkin who went out as an orderly on the same ship as Elizabeth. I'm in the middle of putting together her history & will send it to you when finished. i'm hoping to look at SWH records in Mitchell  next week.

Hope this is of some help.

Alison

Offline Rusty57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Found the article

Dumfries & Galloway Standard,   3 Apr 1915, p9

Miss Mackenzie, matron of the Stewarty Infectious Diseases Hospital, castle Douglas, has volunteered her services as a nurse for Serbia. Her offer has been accepted, and she has been granted leave of absence by the hospital committee of management.  On Tuesday evening she was presented by a few Castle -Douglas friends with a fountain pen with holder, while the members of the hospital staff presented her with a handsome initialled Bible.  Miss Mackenzie sails from Bristol at the beginning of next week for the new scene of duties for which she has so pluckily volunteered.

Alison