Author Topic: Help please - 'Mary Ann' ship sunk in 1868  (Read 9133 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - 'Mary Ann' ship sunk in 1868
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 March 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I've been thinking about this and I wonder whether the phrase  "Lost at sea with the ship Mary Ann 1868" on the grave is significant? If he was on the boat that exploded, you wouldn't describe him being lost at sea would you? Sounds very much as if his ship sunk and his body was never recovered.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I think Capt Pritchard, master of the Mary Ann lost in 1863, was James Howell Pritchard. Letters of Administration were granted to his mother in May 1864: "James Howell Pritchard......master mariner... who died on or since 16 February 1863 at sea....".

Incidentally anyone looking for "Edwd Duke" in the FindMyPast "deaths at sea" should note that it has been indexed as "Duke Edwd"  with Edwd as the surname, Duke as the first name.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 April 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you  ShaunJ and groom for your latest replies - I had not received an e-mail to tell there were more replies as I usually do so had not seen them until now.  I had logged on to post another query about something different and different family !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA