Author Topic: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?  (Read 11716 times)

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone direct me to information about his parents, and a death date and place, please?  Not to be confused with a prominent contemporary identity, the Inglewood Mayor, of the same period, whom I have proven is not my subject.  Spouses name was Jane Sherry, (var. Jean Cherry, Jeannie Sheriff), unknown where and when married.  Children married Australia into family surnames; Berry, Jackson, Garland, Dwyer and Green. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 15 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you could list the names of his children, in chronological order .... perhaps there is a naming pattern?

Do you have any birth certs for those children,  if so, what info about  Martin eg when and where married, and where born?

PS, WELCOME to RootsChat  :)  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 15 01:58 GMT (UK) »
There's a birth for a son, Martin with parents as Martin WARD and Jane (SHERRY), Eaglehawk, Victoria, registered in 1865.   #17528.

Vic BDMs are full of family history info.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 15 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank You JM. 
Yes, I have that child's birth. 

The only verified detail I have on him is from his wife's death entry # 1935 of 1900, and from one of the children's birth entry; Jane Elizabeth 1855 #524. 

Jane's death entry states they were married in Williamstown, Victoria in 1854, but I can find no such marriage. 
Jane Elizabeth's 1855 birth entry states Martin and Jane were married in Adelaide in 1854.  Once again I can find no such marriage. 

The children I have found so far are as follows:
Jane Elizabeth Ward Birth 12 MAR 1855 in Melbourne, Victoria Death 1868 in Victoria
Mary Ann Ward Birth 1856 in Castlemaine, Victoria
John Thomas Ward Birth 1859 in Peg Leg Gully, Bendigo, Victoria Death 1878 in Victoria    
Jane Ward Birth 1864 in Sandhurst, (Bendigo) Victoria, Australia Death 8 APR 1931 in Redfern, New South Wales
Martin Ward Birth 1865 in Eaglehawk, Bendigo, Victoria Death 1866 in Victoria
Charlotte Lear Ward Birth 1866 in Sandhurst, Victoria Death 1935 in Oakleigh, Melbourne, Victoria Catherine Ward Birth 1869 Death 3 Jan 1894 in Melbourne, Victoria
Ellen Rose Ward Birth 1869 in Melbourne, Victoria Death 1885 in Collingwood, Victoria
Edward Ward Birth 1871 in Melbourne, Victoria Death 1877 in Victoria
Samuel Richard Ward Birth 1875 in Melbourne, Victoria Death 1875 in Victoria
and
Lucinda Ward Birth 23 JUN 1879 in Napoleon St, Collingwood, Victoria Death 1966 in Burwood, Victoria. 
There could also be another Elizabeth, vitals unknown.
Tks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 March 15 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank You JM. 
Yes, I have that child's birth. 

The only verified detail I have on him is from his wife's death entry # 1935 of 1900, and from one of the children's birth entry; Jane Elizabeth 1855 #524. 
Martin Ward Birth 1865 in Eaglehawk, Bendigo, Victoria Death 1866 in Victoria ......

Who was the informant on that 1865 birth registration?  If it's Martin, then he would be providing info about himself, (when and where married, age at marriage, his then current occupation, his place of birth, the names/ ages of the older siblings for this child etc)    If he gets the children's names, ages correct, then likely he has also provided reliable  info about his own origins....  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 March 15 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JM.  Yes, I can see what you're driving at.  I don't have the details of the Entries I have cited, as I was given partial information second-hand from generous family members further down the Tree related by marriage to the Wards. 

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money on Vic BDMs in order to get a definitive lead.  Like most people, I was only hoping someone had already successfully researched my subject and could share:)

I have quite a few of these pesky gold Diggers in my Tree, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they died unrecorded down some collapsed mine shaft somewhere, unknown to all.  They were wild times. 

ross.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 March 15 04:06 GMT (UK) »
I chose that child because I am speculating that Martin registered that birth of his son Martin.   But Martin could well have been the informant on any of the others too.    It is just that if you want to get the most out of the pennies spent on certs, then with Vic BDMs you will get details about the parents as well as the older siblings on the younger ones births certs  :)

Best though that you consider waiting for some of the other regular RChatters to come along.  I am NSW centric, and there are quite a few who are very good at Vic searchings. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 March 15 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Who was the informant on Jane's 1900 death, and was Jane noted as a widow?

Do you have marriage certs for any of the children?  Can you limit the years for Martin's death using the status of their father and mother being shown on the mcs as:

deceased or dec or

Cheers,  JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 March 15 04:37 GMT (UK) »
I think you're right - some certificates are needed, but first......... please could you transcribe all of the information from Jane Elizabeth's birth certificate, and from Jane's death certificate as there may be clues there to work from.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk