Author Topic: Emma DUFF (nee HAINES)  (Read 4258 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Emma DUFF (nee HAINES)
« on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I believe Emma DUFF (nee HAINES) d in Cork in 1897 (aged 91/92) - she was b 24/9/1805 Sussex. After her m to Benjamin Duff, she disappears and was never on the British Census. She probably left her husband, due to his frequent extra curricula affairs and subsequent offspring. He d in Scotland in 1897

Her father Gregory moved his family in @1826 and d there in 1853, and his wife in 1869.

If anyone can enlighten us on Emma's whereabouts and d/bur in Ireland, we would be grateful

Simon

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emma DUFF (nee HAINES)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Are there any details from newspapers, burial, Irish Census, in which she might appear?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
The first complete census for Ireland (which was part of Britain just like England, Scotland and Wales) is 1901- it and 1911 are online (free) but too late to record Emma.

However there are these records-

Garden Duff, born 1839- parents Benjamin & Emma
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/96d43b0196251

Helen Emma, daughter of Benjamin & Emma, born 1839
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/22e7e90229725

Jessie Mona Duff, daughter of Benjamin & Emma, born 1843
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/5464dc0072375
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 March 15 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Emma Duff (nee Haines) to the best of my knowledge remained in Ireland. Her husband became the 5th Baronet de jure Dunbar of Hempriggs and the title is still held by a descendant of the youngest daughter of Benjamin and Emma.  The link below may be of help.

http://www.kittybrewster.com/ancestry/duff.htm

Earlier topic re Emma Duff

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=344383.0

Andy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 15 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting link to earlier topic, Andy. Would have saved myself a lot of bother if I'd known OP already had the children's details  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting link to earlier topic, Andy. Would have saved myself a lot of bother if I'd known OP already had the children's details  :-\

I am not sure as to the meaning of this comment. What/Who is OP? The question we asked referred to Emma herself. I made no mention of her children, as we already have their details from some time ago, also her husband, who is well documented

We had hoped that perhaps a local newspaper in Cork, for example, might have written an obituary following her death. She had after all married into the Scottish aristocracy, her father was at one time Commissary General for Ireland and her youngest brother a Field Marshall. Perhaps she lies in a Cork cemetery, (there are at present no online records for this cemetery)

Simon

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 15 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

OP means Original Post and is often used in forums.

In your original post you say After her m to Benjamin Duff, she disappears and was never on the British Census and If anyone can enlighten us on Emma's whereabouts and d/bur in Ireland, what aghadowey has posted are sightings/whereabouts of Emma after her marriage. There is nothing in your original post to indicate that you already had this information.

Andy

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 April 15 23:09 BST (UK) »

You mentioned that Emma died in Cork 1897.  Well in an earlier reply to your query Dathai gave you a link to a family search , Don't know if you actually looked at it???  Well it was a link to the death of Emma Duff in Mitchelstown Cork Cork in 1896.   I did a lot of searching on your behalf and found that Emma's daughter Jessie Mona  married the Rector of Brigown parish ( which is Mitchelstown,Co.Cork)  so this is the actual connection to Mitchelstown and probably the Emma Duff Dathai directed you to is more than likely Emma your ancestor. 

It would be worth purchasing the death certificate from the  General Register Office, Convent Road, Roscommon.    quoting the references to the family search link   

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT8L-93X

Date  Oct -Dec 1896   vol 4 page 439    Emma Duff aged 91  Definitely seems like your Emma.

This is Emma's daughter Jessie Mona Moore (nee Duff) in  1901 census living with her husband
Rev Courtney Moore in Mitchelstown.

More than likely Emma lived with her daughter before she died.

She could be buried in St. Georges Church of Ireland cemetery Mitchelstown. 

Hope this is the information you need to solve your query

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,