Author Topic: Donald McLEOD and Ann McKINNON  (Read 3478 times)

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald McLEOD and Ann McKINNON
« on: Thursday 26 March 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find anything in the OPRs for Donald McLeod and Ann McKinnon but they were both born on Skye (Donald around 1820 to Archibald McLeod and Elizabeth Dingwall) and Ann to Angus McKinnon and Rachel McLeod(around 1822). They settled in Leith where they both died (Donald in 1883 and Ann in 1887) and they had a son Donald around 1849. On the 1871 census, they had their niece and nephew staying (Flora and William) who were the children of Malcolm McLeod and Mary McQueen)

I am interested in finding out the date of Donald and Ann's marriage which I reckon was around 1845 - 1849 and if either Donald or Ann had brothers and sisters possibly born in the Snizort or Durness areas of Skye.
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline jimbethune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McLEOD and Ann McKINNON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 16 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

I cant help you with your query but what I find interesting is the connection with Leith.
I live in Leith but  my family are from Skye, myself being born in Uig.
Now here I come to a possible family link as my greatgrandfather James Bethune and family were in Leith
at the same time as your ancestors,their grandfather and my 3rd times greatgrandfather was a
blacksmith in Stein, Waternish Skye his wife was an Isabella Dingwall.
With this Dingwall connection I wonder if my family are somehow linked

Jim Bethune

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 16 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Can you provide some extra info. please such as c dates of birth, marriage, names/dates of children as this can be a help if using the scottish naming pattern?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jimbethune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

My great grandfather was a George Bethune he was a master mariner sailing out of Leith he was born in Greepe , Isle of Skye in 1843.he was a grandson of Murdoch Bethune and Isabella Dingwall he had three brothers Murdoch,Neil and John and two sisters Isabella and Eliza.
He was married to Catherine Grant and they lived in Leith at the same time as your people.their family's names were James,Mary Ann,Hugh,Donald,William,George,and Elizabeth and all were born around the years 1869-1881.
I hope you make sense of this and it is the Dingwall connection that seems interesting.

Jim

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 01:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jim,

I'm confused as you have a g g/father with 2 different names?

Can you possibly do a summary please with names/dates/maiden names/occupations/kids in order either upward or downward to make it easier to follow as there are so many MacLeods with exactly same names in exactly same places (very confusing).

My great grandfather was a George Bethune he was a master mariner sailing out of Leith he was born in Greepe , Isle of Skye in 1843.he was a grandson of Murdoch Bethune and Isabella Dingwall
I hope you make sense of this and it is the Dingwall connection that seems interesting.

Now here I come to a possible family link as my greatgrandfather James Bethune and family were in Leith
at the same time as your ancestors,their grandfather and my 3rd times greatgrandfather was a
blacksmith in Stein, Waternish Skye his wife was an Isabella Dingwall.

My saying is.....If it's MacLeods from Skye....give them a bye  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"