Author Topic: Christopher LIEBENWOOD, born c1831  (Read 5733 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Christopher LIEBENWOOD, born c1831
« on: Thursday 26 March 15 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to prove that Christopher LIEBENWOOD, born c1831, who was sentenced to 7 years transportation on 07/01/1848 at the Birmingham Boro' Sessions but ended up at Portland Prison, via Parkhurst Prison, on 20/01/1851 is the same person as Christopher LIEBENROOD, born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire about the same time (c1831).   Incidentally, he was NOT transported according to the records.

There are various LIEBENROOD's, including a “Christopher”, appearing in the Criminal Registers 1791-1892 (Ancestry) from both Gloucestershire and Warwickshire and, indeed, there are Census entries for Christopher LIEBENROOD and LIEBENWOOD (corrected to read LIEBENROOD) from 1861 onwards that include Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and, indeed, Staffordshire??   There are also Public Member Trees on Ancestry but, sadly, there has been no reply from the Tree Owners and none of the Trees show parents or siblings.   One of the criminal LIEBENROOD's above, John, was transported to Tasmania and although his convict documentation records his brothers as George, Henry and Christopher, sadly, no parents are mentioned.

I am hoping against hope that the above makes sense and SKS can paint a cohesive picture for me of Christopher LIEBENWOOD. ???

BAC3

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher LIEBENWOOD, born c1831
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 15 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Do you have the marriage certificate for Christopher?

This would seem to be the details:
September 1854   Birmingham vol 6d page 79
Christopher Liebenrood and Ellen Liebenrood     

A possibility for Ellen in 1841 353 /55/15

Transcribed as Lebenhood with likely mother Mary.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 March 15 00:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a possibility for Christopher in 1841 1140/29/11

Transcribed as Chrise Lieberwod 4 yrs with possible parents Percival and Thirza. They are in Birmingham but not born in county. Amongst the siblings are Henry and John.
As you mention various places, you may have this already.

There are deaths for Percival and Theresa before the next census.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Heywood,

The 1841 details are exactly those I wanted for they provide that base from which I can work and build a narrative.

Thank You,

BAC3

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage? I just found it.

Birmingham St Mark July 2nd 1854

Christopher Liebenrood, full age, labourer, Stoke Street, father Perceval Liebenrood, Carpenter

Ellen Liebenrood, minor, Stoke Street, fsther Thomas Liebenrood, shoemaker.

Wtinesses Samuel Walker and Sarah Liebenrood.

The signatures all read as Liebenrood and the father's names support the information I already gave.

They have been transcribed as Liebemooe..

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 15 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Percival Liebenrood married Thurza Bliss 7th July 1817 , Cheltenham, St Mary. A witness was Mary Liebenrood.

I can't see a baptism for Christopher but George Percival Liebenrood was baptised 1820 with these parents. You mentioned George so I think you now have those brothers.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 March 15 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heywood,

You are having a good morning!!!

I had uncovered Christopher's Marriage on the FreeBMD Marriage Index, and , of course, questioned the name of his bride.   Could you please confirm the citation for both this marriage and the 1817 marriage of his parents?   I must admit to a little bewilderment though.   I can only assume that "Ellen LIEBENROOD" was some kind of cousin and her relationship to Christopher did not contravene the marriage guidelines outlined in the Book of Common Prayer!!! ;D

The narrative is certainly turning into something of a potboiler and the only aspect I have not absolutely tied down is the date Christopher LIEBENWOOD was released from Portland Prison?  His actual servitude should have ended on 06/01/1855 in which case he could not have married Ellen.  I have tried the online facilities for early prison release at TNA but nothing shows so I may have to email them, ask for a quote and probably be frightened to death by the cost!!

Once again, my thanks for all your efforts.   I am extremely grateful.

BAC3

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 March 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I transcribed Christopher and Ellen's marriage from Birmingham Marriages and Banns listed on Ancestry.
The 1817 marriages is listed on Gloucestershire Marriages and Banns on the same site.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 March 15 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Heywood,

For the rest of us who are merely mortal, how did you take a leap of ingenuity from LIEBENROOD to LIEBEMOOE to find Christopher and Ellen's marriage ??? ??? ???

My profound regards,

BAC3