Author Topic: Any chance of a baptism look up please ?  (Read 2854 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any chance of a baptism look up please ?
« on: Friday 27 March 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there is any chance that someone could look for a baptism or parish register birth record for me.  Well actually two of them if possible.

Helping my cousin with his mother's F/H and I have done well finding information on the Duke line in Sussex but am struggling with the Chatfield line in Sussex.

I need to know the mother of George Chatfield born 1828 in Lyminster, his father, from his marriage certificate is John Chatfield, Carpenter and thought to also have been born in Sussex. 

To also have the mother of his wife would be a great help.   He married Mary Ann Cook born 1835 and thought to be in Eartham, Sussex.  Her father was Thomas Cook, a stonemason.

I cannot be sure I am searching on the correct family until I have those details, so if anyone can help that would be great. 
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any chance of a baptism look up please ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Think I've found Mary Ann Cooks baptism but nearly ignored it.  Luckily, there appears to be only one Thomas Cook who was a stone mason - in 1841 they are in South Bersted - ref. HO107 - 1099 - 1 - 28 - 19 - wife Mary and with children Henry 12, Mary 9, James 6, John 4, and Mark 18months.   I should also add that there is another Thomas and Mary Cook in South Bersted although this one is not a stone mason.

Childrens baptism are as follows:

1. Henry Thomas Cook bp.11/10/1829 Eartham, Sussex son of Thomas and Mary Emily
2. Maria Anna Cook b.14/1/1832, bp.5/2/1832 Slindon R.C., Slindon, Sussex dau. of Thomae Cook and Emiliae Mariae Bateman - clearly this baptism is in Latin and took place in a R.C. church but no idea why this should be and is why I initially disregarded it.
3. James Cook bp.10/7/1834 South Bersted, son of Thomas and Emily
4. John Cook bp.4/3/1837 South Bersted, son of Thomas and Emily
5. Mark Cook bp.1/11/1840 South Bersted, son of Thomas and Mary Emily

On 1841 census wife shown as Mary, in 1851 - with more children born - wife is now Emily.   So she seems to switch to any combination of Mary Emily.  I note on 1851 census that Mary Ann is working as a servant and shown bc.1831 Eartham (not 1835) but why she was baptised in a Catholic Church when all the others were baptised in local parish churches I have no idea.   Her baptism seems to have occurred around the time they left Eartham for South Bersted.

Thomas Cook married Mary Emily Bateman 27/5/1829 Eartham, Sussex (this and above baptisms are on familysearch).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 March 15 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Is this George and Mary?

Brighton Sussex
George Chatfield head M 22 Carpenter Poling Sussex
Mary wife 21 Bognor
Emily daughter 7 Brighton
Lucy Chatfield servant 22 U  Ba???? Sussex
RG9 604 86 50

1871 census George gives p.o.b as Lyminster

possibility for him in 1841
Poling Sussex
John Chatfield 35 J Carpenter
Hannah 30
GEORGE 14
William 7
Zilpah 6
Elizabeth 4
Nelson 2
Eliza 4mth

all b Sussex
HO107 1093 10 4 3

It seems George may have a different mother to the other children

Marriage
31 Jan 1827
Lyminster Sussex
John Chatfield
Sarah Parker

Baptism
George Chatfield
2 Sept 1827
Poling Sussex
parents John Chatfield & Sarah

possibly Sarah died

and John remarried

23 Jun 1833
Chichester Sussex
John Chatfield
Hannah Coleman

Worth further investigation???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 March 15 01:54 GMT (UK) »
I've just found the same Chatfield info. as suzard!

The only Sarah Chatfield burial I can find in the right time frame is a Sarah bur.23/9/1829 at Arundel, Sussex but no idea if the right one.

John's other children with Hannah are all born in Poling too. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
SFHG database shows
George       CHATFIELD    Baptism Date     02-Sep        1827   
Father  John   CHATFIELD   
Mother Sarah   CHATFIELD   
Occupation     carpenter   
Abode     Lyminster   
Town     Poling   
County     West Sussex 

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Extra information for the 1827 marriage.  Witnesses Christopher Olliver and Ann Chatfield.
There is a possible baptism for Sarah Parker in Arundel in 1801,  Daughter of Thomas and Anne.  Bit of a long shot though.
John is shown as a widower of Rustington on his marriage to Hannah Coleman, which was by licence.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Worth keeping a note of the fact that Thomas Parker married Ann Penn at Poling on 1st Aug 1786 and one of the witnesses was Benjamin Chatfield.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:38 GMT (UK) »
As usual, you are all amazing !    So much, and so soon.   You are so generous.

(I don't seem to have much success with Family Search but I can see that is often used to find information.  In the past I found it very helpful but I always seem to have problems even getting on the website now !)

I had not been able to find George and Mary on 1861 census but the one you have given here looks to be them as their first child was Emily Anne born 1854.

I had found the census entries with John married to Hannah and then John married to Sara but having no idea the name of George's mother I didn't know which might be correct.  The thought did occur to me he might he have re-married and both entries might be correct for John.

I have lots to explore now for Chatfield and Cook families and hopefully I will get it right for my cousin's family !

So many thanks to all.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA