Author Topic: HOWELL - Glamorganshire / Carmarthenshire 1700  (Read 3482 times)

Offline peachfiz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Llewellyn J Howell
    • View Profile
HOWELL - Glamorganshire / Carmarthenshire 1700
« on: Friday 27 March 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
Searching for traces of grandfather Llewellyn J Howell and Grandmother Esther M, born about 1725 and "flew" from Swansea around 1755 and landed in the American colonies (Pennsylvania).

Looking for fellow Howell seekers, as well. I recently moved to Wales from the "States", here to stay.  :D
HOWELL

Offline IoanGwyn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOWELL - Glamorganshire / Carmarthenshire 1700
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I'm jealous. Not sure how you managed the move but more power to your wheel.

I spent a week riding a Triumph Bonneville 'round south Wales based out of Crickhowell (of course!) May of '14, it was grand. Very damp but grand. Prior to that I spent a week in Caernarfon in March of '11, oddly sunny that trip. Nice town, brilliant castell.

I was adopted and found my Howell bio-roots a few years ago via DNA testing.

I'm of the Ethelred Edward Howell (b. UK 1635, d. VA 1685) Hit a bit of a brick wall with him. There's some potential connections near Gloucester and persistent references to Ayrshire in both Scotland and Wales (no such place in the latter case).

I'm interested in anything I can find on him and any connection to Scots Clans. The tinplate sites connect all Howells to first the MacDougalls, then the MacDowells. In my case given the Ayrshire references if there's a connections it's likely MacDowells. The Clan MacDougall Society of NA represents both.

What have you found? 

Cheers,
John

Offline JHT63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 22 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Don’t know what year you posted this but I wanted to reply. My given middle name is Howell. I am a descendant of Lewis Howell b.1778 in Wayne Co. North Carolina, great grandson of Charles (Joshua) Howell of Wayne, North Carolina, who was supposedly born in Jamestown, Virginia in 1680 to Ethelred (Edward) Howell and his wife Anna Foster. The information I have found from researching Ethelred shows him to be from Ayrshire, Scotland or Flintshire, Wales. I have several other branches of ancestors from Wales as well. I also tried to find Ethelred in the Jamestown records and couldn’t find anyone by that name. Some family trees on ancestry.com want Ethelred to be related to or the same person as Edward Howell of Westbury Manor, Marsh Gibbon, England who was son of Lord Henry Howell and who immigrated to Lynn, MA and was one of the founders of Southampton, NY. One of Edward’s wives Eleanor Aldrich was a descendant of William the Conqueror. All this makes being related to Edward and Eleanor desirable but I have borrowed a book “The Descendants of Edward Howell of Westbury Manor, Marsh Gibbon,
Buckinghamshire, England, and Southampton, Long Island, New York” by Emma Ross Howell from an online library  and find no one with the name Ethelred or Edward with the correct birthdate who immigrated to Jamestown with a son Joshua. This doesn’t necessarily make it impossible, but without documents it’s hard to prove. I found a strange twist related to this information with a North Carolina marriage bond #000090877 and record # 01 111 dated Sept 11, 1838 issued by Kindred Howell in Northampton Co., NC for the marriage of an Etheldred Howell to an Anna Foster.  Strange since the Ethelred in question died in 1715 and was married in 1679 in Jamestown. A descendant perhaps?

Today during my search I found a family tree on ancestry that suggests that “Ethelred” was actually Lt. Edward Howell II (b.1626 in Marsh Gibbons d.1699 in NY), the son of Edward of Marsh Gibbons. Edward II immigrated to Lynn Mass. and married his first wife Mary Fordham in Southampton around 1658. Could explain the dead end of Ethelred born in 1635. This tree shows my ancestor (Charles) Joshua to be the son of Lt. Edward II and his second wife Elizabeth Frances Paxton whom he married in Jamestown in 1679 and had three sons Charles Joshua, Henry and William. I’m going to look into this new possibility.

After reading your post I will also investigate the Clan MacDowell. If you have found any new information please reply to my post. I will do the same. There are many others searching for this information. Hopefully someone will be able to solve this mystery.

Offline JHT63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 22 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello, in my previous reply that hasn’t been posted yet I accidentally typed that a family tree on ancestry showed that the name of Lt. Edward Howell II from Marsh Gibbons second wife was Elizabeth Frances Paxton. That is incorrect. His second wife’s name was actually Anna Margaret Foster. Sorry for the mistake!