Author Topic: ROSS FAMILY - TRANENT - HUNTINGTON'S DISEASE  (Read 6638 times)

Offline marsden_rock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROSS FAMILY - TRANENT - HUNTINGTON'S DISEASE
« on: Saturday 28 March 15 11:36 GMT (UK) »
My wife, born in 1948 was the daughter of William Ross (b.1920) and Margaret Davina Purves (b.1924) and who lived in Tranent.  She moved to England in 1951 following her parents separation and had no further contact with her father or that branch of the family.  After the death of my wife's sister, Alexandra from Huntington's Disease , we discovered that William Ross had been a carrier of the disease.  We have traced his death to 1969 as an inmate at Herdmanflat Hospital where he had been a long term patient.  We believe William Ross may have been the son of James Ross (b. about 1900) and Flora Duncan.
We were subsequently told that William Ross was part of a large family which included brothers/sisters  Maggie, Agnes, Jean, John, Andrew, William, Janet, Isa, Robert, Benjamin and George, born between 1893-1912.  Ross is a very common name in East Lothian so it has proved very difficult to trace the family line without more specific information.
100 years ago, the stigma of the little understood Huntington's Disease was locked behind closed doors, however, it provides a clue as to my wife's family line.  Please respond if you can provide any direction to this search.

Edit - living person.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROSS FAMILY - TRANENT - HUNTINGTON'S DISEASE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 March 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the boards, marsden_rock.

I am unsure as to whether you are looking for links to Huntington's Disease, or a straightforward search for ancestors.

You have put you believe William Ross may have been the son of James Ross and Flora Duncan.  Have you applied for certificates or other information from Scotlandspeople or other sources?

The list of William Ross's siblings seems to be a very specific source of information - have you looked for them in the 1901 or 1911 censuses?

Added:
A free search on Scotlandspeople gives only one William Ross born in Tranent from 1919 to 1921. The year narrows to 1921.  The birth could have been late in 1920 and not registered until 1921.
Buy credits for more information.

Added:
That list is of siblings of his Father, I think on rereading.  Sorry for my mistake.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 15 09:42 BST (UK) »
You have James Ross born about 1900, so about 20 when William born?

Cannot see a marriage for James Ross to Flora Duncan (which would have to be 1916 to 1920 if a marriage) - where did this information come from, please?

Or are you dates out?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a James Ross / FLORENCE Duncan 1921 Midlothian.  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 March 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
If Hermanflat Hospital is in Haddington district, the only death for 1969 to 1970 for a William Ross, is for one born in 1922.
Where did you get his year of birth from?

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 15 18:30 BST (UK) »

Yes chempat Hermandsflat Hospital is on the outskirts of Haddington.

midlad

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Found on SP index, marriage of William Ross to Margaret Davina Purves in Gladsmuir, East Lothian, just a few miles East of Tranent in 1943. Certificate will not be online for another 3 years approx.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline marsden_rock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 15 02:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks to those who have posted replies

The original information came from a cousin who had garnered word of mouth information when we first discovered the problem of Huntington's, about 25 years ago.  Our concern at the time was that out children may have inherited the disease but since then, tests have been developed and all are OK. As Huntington's Disease was rarely the final cause of death stated on certificates, I was hoping that someone with specific knowledge of the family might pick up on this posting.  A long shot, I know, but sometimes they pay off.  Thanks to some of the corrections you have given, I have been able to tweak Ancestry into revealing some useful hints.

As we age, we are now looking to provide some information for our grandchildren concerning their heritage. The information you have provided is most useful and we plan to book a desk at Scotland's People during a forthcoming visit to Edinburgh.

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
      If you know the date that you intend to go to NRH in Edinburgh I suggest you book as it gets extremely busy during holiday periods especially when the festival is on. You can pay upfront so on the day you walk in don't need to stand in a queue -- they will give your seat number when you phone .

May I make a suggestion you do your homework before you go so you know exactly the information you are looking for .You can access lots of information and it is well worth £15:00 charge for the day.

There is also a small cafe where you can have a light lunch at a very reasonable price.

Hope you have an enjoyable and fruitful day when the time comes.

Regards,

midlad