Author Topic: Gloucester Prison  (Read 8649 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester Prison
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 April 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
Victor,

If you are going to look at records for Gloucester prison again, would you be able to look for my great-grandfather?  The name is Oliver William Bowdler, and he was born in 1883.  The workhouse minutes dated 14 November 1922 state that "proceedings had been taken against this man under the Vagrancy Act for neglecting to maintain his wife, and that he had been committed to prison for one month with hard labour."  I have assumed he would have been sent to Gloucester prison since Littledean Jail was only a court-house and police station by this date.  Oliver lived in Newnham-on-Severn at this point in time.

In December 1922 he wrote to the Board of Guardians of the workhouse offering to pay ten shillings per month towards her upkeep.

There is absolutely no timescale for this - it was only a quick thought on the off-chance in case you are going to look at prison records in the Archives.
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline franpow

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Oh, Victor thank you so much, the only surviving photo of my Grandfather is very dark & he was some distance away.
How exciting  all this is, my thanks again even if you are not successful thank you for trying.

Offline franpow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 April 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
How wonderful to see such a place that housed Grandfather for a time. Thank you so much JaneyH_104, for bringing this photo to my attention.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 April 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi JaneyH_104,
I have had to pre-order the Gloucester Prison file for Oliver William BOWDLER, reference Q/Gc/12/24, for next Tuesday, and will get back to you with my findings then.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 April 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi franpow,
I have had to pre-order the Gloucester Prison file, reference Q/Gc/10/2, for next Tuesday and will get back to you.
I am not in possesion of a camera phone to photograph Richard HAGGETT, if one exists, but you will be able to order a copy from Glos Archives (GA).
I'll let you know Tuesday.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 April 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Victor,

Many thanks for your kind offer to look at these records for me.  So far in my research (with over 1,100 people in my family tree (husband's & mine combined)) this is the first case I've come across of someone being sent to prison.

I look forward to hearing what you uncover!

Kind regards, Janey
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline franpow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 April 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Victor no one has done anything like this ever, thank you so much for your time & effort. If any costs appear please let me know you will be reimbursed immediately.
Fran

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran,
Source: Glos Archives (GA) Q/Gc/10/2, Gloucester Prison Photographs
I have checked the photograph album of prisoners but there is NO record of Richard HAGGETT in 1909 or 1911.
Victor

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi JaneyH_104,
Source: Glos Archives (GA) Q/Gc/12/24, Page 165, Register No 387:-
Name - BOWDLER, Oliver
Date & Place of Committal - Littledean, 10/11/(19)22
Offence - Neglect to maintain wife
Sentence - 1 month HL (Hard Labour)
Education - 4
Age - 38
Height - 5' 0"
Hair - Brown
Occupation - Motor Driver
Religion/Place of Birth - C of E, East Dean, Glos
Previous Convictions - ticked
Date of Discharge - 9/12/(19)22

I have pre-ordered the Previous Conviction files for next Saturday and will see if I can trace his previous conviction/s.

Victor