Author Topic: Choosing a DNA test for the remaining male relative on paternal line  (Read 3742 times)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Choosing a DNA test for the remaining male relative on paternal line
« on: Sunday 29 March 15 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all in anticipation!

I've read the info from a no. of companies re available tests, but would like Roots Chatters input, please.

My elderly paternal uncle is the last of his numerous siblings. None of his brothers had biological sons.

He has kindly agreed to DNA testing, but I'm not sure which test will give us the most useful info.

Obviously YDNA will provide paternal line results, but should we also be considering a test that will provide information about his maternal line. 2 separate tests, or one combined?

I have a female cousin who would probably be very happy to help my research by taking the mitochondrial test ...her mother & my father were brother and sister...but since I will be paying for the testing, of course, (and would also like to test for my own mother's lines at some stage) I'd like to know the most sensible way of going about this!

Which company would be recommended for Australians of English, Irish & Scottish descent?

Cheers,
Ann

Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a DNA test for the remaining male relative on paternal line
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 March 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
Ann ..... I used https://www.igenea.com/en/home and very pleased with the result .......... there are others of course so it is your choice.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
EU199/$279AUD  for the basic   :-\

What were you looking for joboy or did it give you anything extra you weren't expecting?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 15 03:47 BST (UK) »
EU199/$279AUD  for the basic   :-\

What were you looking for joboy or did it give you anything extra you weren't expecting?
I started with the 'Basic' and then decided to do the *full monty* with the 'Expert.'
It gave me something that I was expecting but needed,like us all in this pursuit,and that is proof.
My surname is Twitchin and from what I have gathered it is old english with a few meanings that are basicly similar like a fork in the road or an alley or a divide between two properties so I had an idea it would not move very far.
The 'Expert',which costs a bunch, gave me 95.56% (Western European) Orkney,and the balance was;
Near east: Palestine,Bedouin,Jews,Mozabites,Iran,Adygea and Druze.
I am satisfied with the result.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 15 03:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that  :)

My only concern, and this is with all DNA tests , is that I would bet that mine would come out very similar to yours.

The story of historical migrations would follow the countries/regions that your DNA test showed. To me that's a no-brainer.

I guess the test I am after is one that can link me to other people and lead me down a path, whether a cuckoos nest, or confirming the name lineage.

I see they say they have a large database of people...did they link you to others with shared DNA?

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
iGENEA are a reseller of the Family Tree DNA test kits. You can get the same tests much more cheaply by ordering direct from Family Tree DNA.

There are comparison charts for all the different testing companies in the ISOGG Wiki linked at the top of this page:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/List_of_DNA_testing_companies

Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Yes they did and they provided the names and email addresses of current subscribers with similar names like Twitchell,Twitchings,Twitchen and more which I am working on now and the closest I have found go back to Cheshire in the 1400's.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
I must agree with DevonCruwys I would have been better off doing as she said but that is done and is water under the bridge.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you  :)

It will happen , but I think I am at least 6 months from a cheek swab

Scott, Cronin