Author Topic: Lookup Request Please: Thomas and Mary Gately Finnerty  (Read 2346 times)

Offline spelosky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup Request Please: Thomas and Mary Gately Finnerty
« on: Sunday 29 March 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

What I know:  Thomas b. 1827 and Mary b. 1830 (Gately) Finnerty, Finnity, Finerty immigrated to US in 1852 with infant daughter Mary b. 1851.  All of these dates are based on US 1880 census so could be + or - a bit.  I think elder Mary is daughter of John and Margaret (Tully) Gately.  Thomas and Mary had other children in the US, Michael b. 1860 and Ellen b. 1865 ish.  I have nothing on them from 1852 when they arrived until they show up in 1880 census where they lives in Turners Falls, Mass.  I'm trying to determine where they came from in Ireland hoping to visit when I travel there this summer for a once in a lifetime trip.  I had hoped that having what I believe to be 2 generations back of mothers maiden name would help me narrow down a bit but it has not.  I;m told a lot of Finnerty's came from Galway and Roscommon.  Any help and a lookup would be so very appreciated!  It's taken me about 5 years to get what I have waiting to make a trip.  Thanks so much!  I don't know the religion for sure but daughter Mary was buried Catholic at death and her daughters baptism is also Catholic.  I've tried Irish times and have a roots.ie subscription as well as ancestry.com in US.  Thanks!!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline spelosky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request Please: Thomas and Mary Gately Finnerty
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank You, that is my post.  I thought posting in a specific thread might help.  I did look at both of those resources before posting anything and was not able to find anything.  Thanks for the suggestion!