Author Topic: Lemington House (Moreton in Marsh)  (Read 6318 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Lemington House (Moreton in Marsh)
« on: Sunday 29 March 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering if anybody might have any information or pictures of a property called Lemington House in Moreton in Marsh.

A branch of my family lived at the property from around the 1880s until the 1970s. The first member being the Reverend James William Clarke (1831-1888) and the last being his granddaughter Mary Evelyn Gertrude Burdge (nee Clarke-Baylis) (1901-1974).

I would be most grateful for any help or information.

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lemington House (Moreton in Marsh)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 March 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/lemington-house/oxford-street/moreton-in-marsh/gl56-0la/27222724

If you look at the property on streetview (above is only a part of it) & zoom in there's a black plaque on the building saying "Lemington House"

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is the following reference to Lemington House, Moreton-in-Marsh at Glos Archives:-

FindingRef    K1032/2/7
Title    January - March 1990. Applications to alter and extend Hyperion Hotel, London Road, Fairford; Rendcomb College, Rendcomb; Hollybush Cottage, Broad Campden; Barnfield, Kineton, Guiting Power; 40 Great Rissington; University Farm, High Street, Moreton-in-Marsh; The Old School House, Upper Slaughter; Mace's Cottage, Wyck Rissington; White Gate, Chedworth; Farmers Public House, Stow-on-the-Wold; alterations to listed buildings at 33 Gloucester Street, Cirencester Barton Hall, Gloucester Street, Cirencester; The Chemists Shop, High Street, Chipping Campden; Jasmine Cottage, Sheep Street, Stow-on-the-Wold; 38 Market Place, Cirencester; Lemington House, Oxford Street, Moreton-in-Marsh; Little Acorn, Park Street, Stow-on-the-Wold; Rose Cottage, Pound Lane, Little Rissington; The Cott, West End, Northleach; Rose Cottage, Pound Lane, Little Rissington; The Grey House, Lower Dean, Northleach; 2 St Georges Terrace, Blockley; Old Walls, Souththrop; The Limes, Oxford Street, Moreton-in-Marsh; Farthing Green Naunton; Willow Cottage, Little Barrington; Queens Head House, Moreton-in-Marsh; Windrush Restaurant, Sherbourne Street, Bourton-on-the-Water; Blakemoor Cottage, Greenhill Farm Lane, Chedworth; Maylyns, Bledington; Lower Farm House, Adlestrop; Manor Farm, Condicote; Hills Newsagent, High Street, Moreton-in-Marsh; Sherborn House, Sherborn Mews, High Street, Chipping Campden; Seymour House Hotel, High Street, Chipping Campden; Southwold, Tally Ho Lane, Tally Ho, Guiting Power; Harvey House, High Street, Moreton-in-Marsh; Kifts Gate, Weston Subedge; Long Furlong House, Foss Cross, Chedworth; Barclays Bank, High Street, Moreton-in-Marsh; The Mansion House, Northwick Park, Blockley; 42 Eastleach; 50 High Street, Chipping Campden; The Gate Lodges, Chipping Campden; Manor House, Naunton; 4 Upper Dowdeswell; The Plough, Lower High Street, Chipping Campden; 5 Church Street, Willersey; Paxford Manor, Paxford; Poppets; High Street, Chipping Campden; Twine House, High Street, Chipping Campden.
Date    1990
NumberofDocs    1 bundle
Level    Item
HeldAt    Gloucestershire Archives
SortRef    Click here to see this record in its archival contextClick on the red icon to see this record in context
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Offline Asut123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello. I can tell you a few things. Firstly, I live at Lemington House. I have spoken to the Son, of the last Burdge, that lived at Lemington House. She was a very elderly lady in 1970 and living here was difficult for her. Her Son told me she was too old to stay, but too old to move. The house was huge at that point. The next owners let it fall into dereliction, and the next brought it back from the brink, but split it into three to sell it. A local stone mason told me that his mother used to clean for the lady who lived here. The house was falling into disrepair and the lady lived in just one room, which is our lounge now. You have to clime around eight steps to it so she must have had reasonable mobility, even at such an age. All of the local children were frightened of the house and after her death would dare each other to break in and run through the house. Just before we bought it we were told that it was haunted and my partner who doesn't believe in ghosts when the lights are on or the sun is shining nearly backed out of the sale, because he said he didn't want an invisible lady watching him get undressed at night. :-) Why would she want to?!

Anyway, we did buy it and we haven't had any invisible ladies yet. I think it really all came from it being the local Boo Radley house. The last Mrs Burdge in fact finally died in a nursing home, though lived here nearly to the end. I spoke to the Son of this lady and we were meant to be getting together. He has photos of the house from his childhood that I would dearly love to see. The house has the most fascinating history that goes way back to the Creswick family. I have the telephone number (and name) of the son. There is a possibility that I could phone him again and ask if I could give you his contact details. He was very warm and friendly, but our visit just didn't happen.

Kindest Regards
K

Offline Asut123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 May 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hello, I forgot to say, I think it must have been Reverend James William Clarke, who invited the famous cricketer WG Grace to stay at Lemington house. He stayed for some weeks. I always hope he stayed in my room. He'd be pretty fashionable now with the young mens liking for growing great long beards.

K

Offline shepway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
There is information on British History Online at:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol6/pp240-250

Mike

Offline ffff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 July 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am the daughter of Michael Burdge and today we have been going over all the history of Lemington house. We have detailed information of all those who stayed and died in the house. Quite a few! I spent time there as a child and remember the ghosts! The house was bought by William Davis in 1854 for #1000. He was married to Mary Maria ne Baylis, widow of Hemming George.
More to come if I get a response!
Fiona

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am the daughter of Michael Burdge and today we have been going over all the history of Lemington house. We have detailed information of all those who stayed and died in the house. Quite a few! I spent time there as a child and remember the ghosts! The house was bought by William Davis in 1854 for #1000. He was married to Mary Maria ne Baylis, widow of Hemming George.
More to come if I get a response!
Fiona

I would be interested to learn more  :)