Author Topic: Local Knowlege please - St Werburgh and St Alkmund in Derby  (Read 4800 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Local Knowlege please - St Werburgh and St Alkmund in Derby
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 April 15 04:37 BST (UK) »
Having a bit of trouble following your George.
George SMITH, Father Joshua married Harriett BARROWCLIFF, 12 May 1849, Saint Werburgh, Derby, Derbyshire

I presume yours married Harriot Bailey 1847?
Children Emma/Samuel by 1851?
1861 married to Clara nee Webster?

Marriage is on FreeREG 1860 but with no extra details, ie Fathers names etc ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 April 15 07:25 BST (UK) »
Great Trish  but leaves the question have i got the wrong Goerge and Harriet after all ?

If Joshua's George married a Harriet and he was we know a Brick maker is the 1851 census for him after all? Is Harriet Bailey a red Herring?

What we know
Harriet Bailey had an Illegitimate child in 1846 Alfonso baptised    05 Jul 1846 died Q3 1846
Harriet Bailey married George SMITH son of George SMITH 2 Oct 1847 St Alkmund
Harriet Bailey was born 1824 her George 1825

George SMITH, Father Joshua married Harriett BARROWCLIFF, 12 May 1849, Saint Werburgh, Derby, Derbyshire

Joshua and Judith's George was baptised 9 Aug 1824 in St Werburgh
He is with Josh. in 1841 a Brick Maker

The 1851 census HO107/2142 fo322 p28     Derby St Alkmund
sch:135  Leaper Street Court 2
George SMITH    27    Brick Maker    from  Derby so could be St Alkmund or St Werburgh born 1824 his Harriet was 25 from Matlock so born 1826
They had Emela SMITH age 2  and Samuel 3 weeks old

An Harriet died Q1 1859 Derby district no age given

A George SMITH married Clara WEBSTER 20 Feb 1860 in Sneinton Nottingham
An Elizabeth Eliza Smith born 22 Jan 1860 was baptised in St Alkmund 10 Nov 1869 the same day as Joshua Arthur, George Herbert and William All children of George and Clara.

George and Clara are on the 1861 census RG 9/2497 fo34 p22    27 Watson Street St Alkmunds
George is 36 a Gas fitter from Derby so born 1825 with them are Emma aged 11 and Samuel aged 10 Harriet age 8George aged 5 and Eliza who was 1

It looks like Emma was the Emela and the Samuel is the same one on the 1841 census But the occupation has changed quite dramatically other wise it looks like the same couple.

My interest is through John Henry SMITH born 1874 who is with the widowed Clara , Joshua A George H and Clara A in 1891RG12/2430 fo133 p27

Phew I think that sums it up but was it  Joshuah and Judith 's George and his Harriet that married Clara? was Harriet Bailey a red herring?
I still need the Clara marriage details don't i unless we can follow the other George and Harriet a bit more.

I still think the Brick Maker is the one who went on to marry Clara

It looks like the George son og George and Elizabeth has married Harriet Boailey but what proof is there that it was Harriet Bailey who had Emma and Samuel and sied in 1859 that could have been Harriet BARROWCLIFF.

George SMITH, Father Joshua married Harriett BARROWCLIFF, 12 May 1849, Saint Werburgh,
Emma and Samuel are born after that marriage

Oh now I am favouring my George to be Joshuah and Judith's again

Many thanks for all your interest I can feel a trip to Derby coming on... but when that is the problem.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 April 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is also a death for a Harriet Smith Sept Q 1857 Derby 7b 249.

If you take a look at Samuel Barrowcliff B 1816 Matlock, brother to Harriett you will see
he is also a Gas Fitter, so did he get George Smith into this occupation.

Think there is no doubt, that your George Smith married twice, his first marriage to
Harriett Barrowcliff states his father was Joshua Smith and he is living with Joshua in 1841,
prior to his marriage.
Also the children born to him and Harriett can be seen living with him and his new wife Clara.

To be certain you should purchase civil registration certificate or view the original church marriage
He second marriage should show he was a widow, name of his father, occupation etc.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 April 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Spenlove It will be great to see if I have drawn the right conclusions when we get to see the original. Its My cousins birthday next Wednesday and I'd love to be able to send him a reasonable tree so I think this Smith bit will be marked with Caution and to be continued but I am happy that in less than a fortnight I have all his Great Great grandparents and 12 3x Great grandparents with all the censuses and most baptisms. So now I need to do a narrative version for him
Many thanks to everyone who has helped along the way
Trees  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.