Author Topic: Which Ann PROBIN married William WALKER  (Read 6000 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Ann PROBIN married William WALKER
« on: Monday 30 March 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Doing some research for a friend. 
William Walker and Ann Probin married in 13 Jul 1868 Malpas. (Cheshire OPRs Film: 2068514)

My friend believes that Ann PROBIN, father John, was born Nantwich 1842. (1842 Nantwich 19/132). I have asked if she has proof but nothing so far.

In 1871 I found William WALKER with his new wife, Anne living with this Anne's father, John Probin.
1871 Census. Foxhouses, Broxton, Cheshire. John Probin, widower, shoemaker and head of family 65,  William Walker, labourer and son-in-law 32, Anne Walker, dau of John and wife of William, 30, John Probin gson 9 b Tilston, William A Probin gson b Tilston 9, Christina Probin gdau b Tilston 7, John Walker gson b Bunbury 7, Walter Walker gson b Malpas 2 and William Walker gson b Malpas 8 months. RG10/3717/83/17
I think there are 2 different lots of grandchildren here; not sorted them out yet. Some are WALKER and some PROBIN.

In 1881 Anne and her children (but not proven yet) is still with her father but a widower.
1881 Census. Broxton, Cheshire. John Probin, shoemaker, widower and head of family, 75, Ann Walker, dau and widow 39, John Probin gson b Tilston 19, Walter Walker gson 12, William Walker gson 10, Anne Walker gdau 6 and Ellen Walker gdau 4. RG11/3552/75/15

In 1841 and 1851, daughter Ann is with her father, John. This Ann was born 1840 Great Boughton, Cheshire and baptised 24 Oct 1840 Tilston which is why she appears on the 1841 census.

1841 Census. Carden, Broxton, Cheshire. John 65, John 34, Elizabeth 40, Ann 35, Francis 10, Mary 8, Sarah 6, James 3 and Ann 8 months. HO107/89/5/5

1851 Census. Great Boughton, Tattenhall, Cheshire. John 45, Anne 48, Frances, 20 and U, Anne 10, William 5 and Anne gdau 2 months. HO107/2171/56/4

So therefore I assume that this Ann in the early censuses b 1840 is in fact the wife of William Walker.  Am I right? I feel the answer is staring me in the face, but you know how it is...you work on a family, finding them, proving this and that and you end up not seeing the wood for the trees.

So is anyone researching this John PROBIN? b 1806 Tilston, Cheshire. He married Anne DAVENPORT 14 Jul 1832 Malpas. She died 1860 Great Broughton.

Would be grateful for any hints please.

Kind regards
Suzie (from Orkney)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ann PROBIN married William WALKER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
I think you have the correct Ann,
She was baptised 24 Oct 1840 and according to her marriage in July 1868 she was 27 so would have been 28 in October of that year.
 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ7S-B8N

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
I thought the name rang a bell  :)
Other posts have been made concerning this family that may help you  ;)

This link will take you to there
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f26/

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
Rolnora,

Thank you very much for your 2 responses. I've thought about it since I wrote my query, and I am more sure now that I do have the correct Ann.

I have briefly browsed that other thread you mentioned and has see a Christina mentioned so those will be helpful for other twigs.

Many thanks.
Suzie

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
just for a little more confirmation - go to
http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/
database
baptism
probin

24th / 10 /1840 - Ann Probin - Parish of Tilston
father John Probin - labourer
mother Ann Probin
abode CARD
on Glossary on that site CARD = Carden
so although they were in the Parish of Tilston - they lived in the little village of Carden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carden,_Cheshire_West_and_Chester

looks like a beautiful little village
siblings of Ann - to John and Ann Probin in Carden
27 /01/1833 Mary Probin
10/05/1835 Sarah Probin
02/06/1844 John Probin

1st July 1832 John Probin of the Parish of Tilston married Ann Devenport of the Parish of Malpas ,Chester
married in Malpas
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
The image for the baptism entry for Ann Probin is available on FindMyPast - Tilston - 24 October 1840 - Ann daughter of John and Ann Probin of Carden.  Occupation Labourer.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
BumbleB and garstonite, thank you for your input and further confirmation. I had found a baptism for Ann Probin 24 Oct 1840 on FamilySearch and also for the marriage of her parents but nice to get that extra info re John's occupation, and her siblings.

Thank you all. You've been a great help.
Suzie

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 09:17 BST (UK) »
The image of Ann's marriage to widower William Walker is also on Find my Past

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
I did see that William was a widower. I was going to look for that first wife today because I need to sort out all those different children too!

I don't have a sub to FindmyPast but hopefully I'll find a chum who might look for me.
Thanks
Suzie