Author Topic: seaside photo for date and colour of great nan Rose Simkiss of Walsall Staffords  (Read 2123 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
Hi all I was hoping someone was able to give me a date idea for this photo im thinking 1940s?

the lady second from left is my great nan 1894-1975 the first lady sitting next to her is her eldest daughter born 1914 and the other one third from left another daughter born 1919 to give idea on dates, regards

ps just noticed the third lady another daughter born 1918, the two young sisters with a partner with them both married in 1940? no childen in the picture could it be 1940 or earlier?

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: seaside photo for date and colour of great nan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: seaside photo for date and colour of great nan
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
I would say 1940's + based upon the coat of the coat of the gent in the photo.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
Re: seaside photo for date and colour of great nan Rose Simkiss of Walsall Staffords
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 10:19 BST (UK) »
thanks so much for the colour edits they look great, very kind of you

also thanks for the dating, I was thinking 1940s due to two of the daughters in photo marrying in q3 1940 maybe it was the year of the marriage being summer time ?

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: seaside photo for date and colour of great nan Rose Simkiss of Walsall Staffords
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
I have a very similar family beach photo from the 1940's. I can't seem to spot any wedding rings though so possibly it is the summer before their marriage, as you said.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
A try from me, regards, John.

Offline Joebloor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bradelkington your photos are just fantastic! Sorry, I'm just starting my family history research on behalf of my nan Joan Cooley, maiden name Stringer who's mom was Gertrude Annie Simkiss. Was Rose in the photo her sister Rose? I'm so pleased to see pictures as I've been dong this for a while with no faces to out to names. I'll make my way through your previous threads and maybe I can find a few more.

Many thanks
Joe

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Judging by the lady on the right, I'd guess more into the 1950's. Boat neck, sleeveless frock, necklace and hairstyle very much mid 1950's.

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Rose and friends/family.
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)