Author Topic: Help finding Ellen Brady (immigrated to Montreal from Ireland in 1927)  (Read 5157 times)

Offline nfmcc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandfather, John Brady, emigrated from Kildallan, County Cavan, Ireland to Montreal, Canada in 1927 with 3 of his 4 children - Ellen, b. 1907, Joseph b. 1910 and my father,Thomas b. 1913.  The only thing I know is that apparently Ellen did not stay with her father and brothers after arrival in Montreal.  I don't know if she stayed in Montreal or left for another city.  I can't find any trace of her and would appreciate knowing if this information rings a bell with anyone.  Thank you.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Ellen Brady (immigrated to Montreal from Ireland in 1927)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.  The last available Canadian Census was 1921   As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 85 years ago (They are up to about 1929 at the moment)and deaths 70 years ago.

Have you followed all the brothers  forward to see if there are obituaries for them which mention Ellen  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline nfmcc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra.  Thanks for the information regarding Canadian records - that explains why I'm having trouble tracing her through marriage details etc.   I have the information about the brothers and there is no mention of her so I'm hoping someone might recognize the names on a personal level.

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 18:40 BST (UK) »
This is a complete shot in the dark, however the Irish community in Montreal lived in a place called Griffintown.  It's usually referred to in the census records as the Ste. Anne's Ward.  My family burial plot as are many families is at the Notre Dame des Neiges Cemetery.   

I have pulled a lot of info from their website, ie DOB, DOD, maiden names etc.

This could be who you're looking for (again a shot in the dark).

Name: Ellen Brady
Date buried: 04/07/1941
Section: P   Lot: 02166
Spouse: Neeson

I would look for the above person's marriage record to Neeson and see who they list her parents as.  Then you can go from there.
Normoyle/Normile - Montreal Canada from Limerick Ireland
Burton - Montreal Canada from Cheshire England
O'Connor - Limerick Ireland
Myers - Montreal Canada
Perrier/Perrier dit Barthelemi - Quebec Canada
Pion/Pion dit Lafontaine - Quebec Canada
Finlay - Western Canada & U.S.A
Tonks - Montreal Canada from Staffordshire England
Sinn - Montreal Canada from China
McNulty - Ballina county Mayo Ireland
Bristol - Montreal Canada from Derbyshire England

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
Great suggestion KNormoyle.  However, I found her obituary in the Montreal Gazette (2 July 1941, p.12 "Mrs John Neeson Dies.") Here is the link.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f2c/
The obit states that she was 76 years old (meaning she would have been born c.1865) and had four brothers and four sisters so I don't think this would be the right Ellen Brady.

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 03:51 BST (UK) »
Yeah maybe that Ellen Brady may be a bit old.  Like I said shot in the dark.  The other of the popular Montreal cemeteries is Mount royal but their website isn't as comprehensive.

Normoyle/Normile - Montreal Canada from Limerick Ireland
Burton - Montreal Canada from Cheshire England
O'Connor - Limerick Ireland
Myers - Montreal Canada
Perrier/Perrier dit Barthelemi - Quebec Canada
Pion/Pion dit Lafontaine - Quebec Canada
Finlay - Western Canada & U.S.A
Tonks - Montreal Canada from Staffordshire England
Sinn - Montreal Canada from China
McNulty - Ballina county Mayo Ireland
Bristol - Montreal Canada from Derbyshire England

Offline nfmcc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
I appreciate everybody's efforts. I tried the Annuaires Lovell and couldn't find her, although she may have been working as a domestic and therefore not likely to have been recorded.  The first residence I have for the father and two brothers from 1928 to 1935 is 1495 Aird Ave., which I don't believe is in the Griffentown area, but that doesn't mean that's not where Ellen headed.  Does anyone know of any way at all for searching marriage records for that time frame?  Thanks. Norma

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 85 years ago (They are up to about 1929/30 at the moment)and deaths 70 years ago.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
  I have the information about the brothers and there is no mention of her so I'm hoping someone might recognize the names on a personal level.

Does that mean you have located obituaries for the boys  ???

Noticed on the passenger list for John Brady - verif of landing (s) - 6/2/47  and for Joseph 5/8/41

Sandra