Author Topic: John Dwyer b Limerick 1766 d Australia 1844  (Read 7013 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Dwyer b Limerick 1766 d Australia 1844
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping for a longshot! My 3 gr great grandfather John Dwyer, was born in Limerick in 1766 and was transported to Australia in 1802 on the Atlas 2. He married Elizabeth Gurney in 1813. I have been unable to find out anything about him in Ireland and am desperately hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the family.

cheers
Jill

Offline Goorikidz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Dwyer b Limerick 1766 d Australia 1844
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 03:06 GMT (UK) »
John Dwyer is my 3 great grandfather also.  I do not know any more about him in Ireland other than what you already know.  He was transported on Atlas 2 in 1802.  He married Elizabeth Gurney in 1813.  They had 9 children and I descend via his son John Dwyer b.1822 Appin, NSW and d.1883 Appin, NSW.

Would love to find some information on him back in Ireland.

Janette
BONUS: Meath Ireland
BULL: Warwickshire
CANDLER: Essex;
CHILDS: Hampshire; IOW
COLES: Worcestershire, & Newport Wales; Australia
GAUDIN: Nottinghamshire; Australia, New Caledonia, France
HIGGERSON; Middlesex;
LLOYD: Montgomeryshire Wales
LITTLEWOOD: possibly Cornwall
POOLE: Llanymynech Wales, Sussex, Shropshire, Oswestry, Warwickshire, Australia;
POWELL: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
RAINBOW: Worcestershire
RAYNER: Wivenhoe, Essex, Australia
WILLIAMS: Monmouthshire;

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 04:41 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it, there were two convicts by that name on that voyage of that ship.

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/d/F17c_dr-dy-14.htm#P6271_204417 

Which one is the one each of you are enquiring about?

Overseer of Quarries or District Constable

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM

Great to hear from you. It seems Janette and I are searching for the same person. John Dwyer, b Limerick 1766, d Appin 1844.

When John Dwyer arrived in Australia in 1802, he was sent to work at Government Quarry, Sydney for 9 years as he was a stone mason by trade. He was given a Conditional Pardon 29 January 1812, and was given absolute pardon on 12 December 1818 for services on John Oxley's expedition of Lachlan River in 1817. In 1824 John Dwyer became Chief constable at Appin.

He was granted 110 acres of land by Governor Macquarie at Appin on 25 August 1812.  He called his farm "Kildare Farm". John purchased properties in NSW and the name of his house in Appin was Doon. This land in East Bargo was called Toomaline.

Do you agree Janette?

Our John Dwyer is the convict mentioned in this site as being 26 years of aged, Native place of birth as Limerick, and trade as a Quarryman. http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/irish/irish.cgi

Would any of the references in the Colonial Secretary Index you refer to have any information on his family or life in Ireland?

cheers
Jill

Offline ronnier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I think the names Doon and Tomaline mean something.  There is a townsland named Tomaline in Doon in Co Limerick so maybe thats where he came from.  Try Googling that address and maybe you would come up with something, also look at the 1901 and 1911 census of Ireland and maybe you will find people of that name living in that area.
Ronnie

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was just going to say about Doon and Toomaline being town lands, that's why they called the houses Doon and Toomaline.
The well known quarry near to Doon was White Quarry.
It closed in the 1920's.
In the register's on line they only have Marriages from 1839 and Baptisms from 1824.
The next place would be the newspapers or the courts for the Trial in 1801.
In the Tithe Applotments in 1826.....
Toomaline Lower there was a Matt Dwyer
Tooomaline Upper there was a Margaret Dwyer
Toomaline Upper there was a Timothy Dwyer.
These must be related to you.
I hope this is a help for you.
Maggsie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM

Great to hear from you. It seems Janette and I are searching for the same person. John Dwyer, b Limerick 1766, d Appin 1844.

Would any of the references in the Colonial Secretary Index you refer to have any information on his family or life in Ireland?

The Colonial Secretary's Index points to the actual records that were Indexed.  So while the index won't have any further information, the actual records could well have information.   May I stress too that the index clearly states that there were " TWO CONVICTS BY THAT NAME ON THIS SHIP", so you need to go through the actual records that are listed at the index, to separate the two men named John DWYER.      Fortunately in very recent times the NSW State Records Office (where the actual records are held) has entered into a partnership arrangement with Ancestry and the Col Sec's Index 1788-1825 has been digitised and is available via Ancestry.    If you were to go to a public library you may well be able to access the digitised records via the Ancestry's Library version.

Please do be careful about checking to separate the two chaps.   It is my understanding that the chap who travelled down the Lachlan with the John OXLEY expedition was perhaps the quarryman, but that the chap who was the District Constable was NOT the chap on that expedition..... 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm from my own offline resources:

Oct 1802
John DWYER aged 44, tried at CLONMEL, sentenced to Life, transported per Atlas 2, arrived 30 October 1802.  Conditional Pardon # 96  (and this info potentially conflicts with other info later in this post)

Oct 1802
John DWYER aged 28, Convicted LIMERICK, sentenced to Life, Transported per Atlas 2, arrived 30 Octobrer 1802, Absolute Pardon #327

August 1806
John DWER per Atlas, a prisoner, at the Battery, Sydney  (note spelling on the surname is as per my resource)

Letter from John DWYER, ex Ship Atlas 1802, seeking mitigation of his sentence

29 Feb 1812, Conditional Pardon for John DWYER shows he was tried at Limerick, received a Life sentence, and had arrived by the ship Atlas in 1802.  (And this info potentially conflicts with earlier info in this post)

31 Jan 1818, Free Pardon for John DWYER, tried Limerick, sentenced Life, ship of arrival Atlas 1802

30 June 1814 letter, John DWYER ex Atlas 1802, Paid from the Police Fund for erecting for the public use the stone Reservoir and Pump in Bent Street (Sydney CBD)

July 1822 letter, John DWYER ex Atlas 1802, receiving an assigned convict

Sept 1822
John DWYER at Liverpool, 80 acres, cleared 30 acres,  20 acres under wheat, 7 acres under maize, 1 acre potatoes,  9 bushels wheat, 60 bushels maize, 1 horse, 15 horned cattle 20 hogs.

SEPT 1822 MUSTER John DWYER, Life, arrived per Atlas 2,  “AP” (Absolute Pardon) Residence APPIN

26 Dec 1822, John DWYER, Atlas 1802, Appin NSW, Convicts ex the ship Countess of Harcourt assigned to John Dwyer at Liverpool

April-May 1823, letter John DWYER Atlas 1802, District Constable

28 April 1823, John DWYER, Atlas 1802, appointed Chief Constable Appin district,

7 May 1823, John DWYER, Atlas 1802, Appointed Chief Constable and Poundkeeper district of Appin

1 Oct 1823, John DWYER, Atlas 18102, On the return of the Police Establishment in the Districts of Appin and Illawarra as Chief Constable and Poundkeeper Appin
15 Nov 1823, letter John DWYER ex Atlas 1802, resigned due to ill health

Jan, Feb, Oct 1824 
Letter re Convict assigned to John DWYER ex Atlas 1802 in the District of Appin
Letter re Convict returned to Government from John DWYER is Atlas 1802 in the District of Appin 

30 March 1824 Letter John DWYER, Atlas 1802, letter of Resignation

30 August 1824 Letter John DWYER, Atlas 1802, letter Memorial (Petition)

23 June 1825, Letter John DWYER, Atlas 1802, On list of persons who had orders for Grants of Land

23 June 1825  Letter John DWYER Atlas 1802 Lands Granted/Reserved by Sir Thomas BRISBANE as governor of NSW.

Perhaps the two chaps were different denominations, but even that will not help to separate the records, as St Philips C of E, Sydney's parish records contain many baptisms for all denominations in the 1810-1821 era when Lachlan Macquarie was Governor.   (As per his general orders issued 1810 etc about recording of baptism and burials). 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 November 15 01:03 GMT (UK) »
May I please ask

a)  :) which document gives the year of birth as 1766 for either John DWYER.
b)  :) which document gives the details for the marriage to Eizabeth in 1813

ADD
and
c)  :)  :)  :)  :)  Have you checked with any of the authors of the following online sightings, including each of the posters on the RChat thread?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=597718.0

and from Goggle

http://www.geni.com/people/John-Dwyer/6000000016634368838
https://www.cdfhs.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=74
http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/s/t/r/Wendy-L-Stringer/index.html
http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dwyer-556
https://www.myheritage.com/FP/genealogy-search-ppc.php?type&action=person&siteId=75073431&indId=1000116&origin=profile

Cheers,  JM