Author Topic: Baptism lookup! Ellen Deacon about 1758?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism lookup! Ellen Deacon about 1758?
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am trying to find the parents of Ellen Deacon born around 1758. She married John Smith in 21st July 1780 in the parish of Frodsham. She is the direct ancestor of myself on the maternal line (mothers mothers mothers mother etc.) I haven't been able to find any records in or outside of Cheshire for her baptism and I think she died in 1849 (aged 91) in Frodsham. Any help would be appreciated.. (I also tried looking for an Ellen marrying someone called Deacon before she married John smith incase she might have been a widow)

Thanks,
Pendlelad  :)
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism lookup! Ellen Deacon about 1758?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello pendlelad,

One baptism that looks a to be a possibility is in Daresbury, Cheshire. Ellen Dakin baptised 07/07/1765, daughter of Thomas and Phebe Dakin.

Daresbury is in the vicinity of Frodsham.

I found a death for an Ellen Smith in Frodsham in 1849, she was aged 91. Was this the source of the year of birth you have given?

It should be possible to find Ellen in the 1841 census on that basis. I cannot find her, have you?

Jo.

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
Thanks for your reply.
I havent been able to find her on the 1841 census either. Also the marriage between John and Ellen is in 1780, with Ellen being transcribed as Ellin. This is several years before the first child that i have come across between them which is William Smith born 1787. Hannah is then born in 1789. Could this be the wrong marriage? Its the only one i can find between a John Smith and an Ellen. The most probable death for John is in 1827 (i think) meaning that he was born in 1761.

Regards,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
In my view it is probable that the marriage in 1780 is the right one for them.

I have found a Family Tree on Ancestry which is for this line. It shows John Smith B1761, D1827, both Frodsham. It shows they had 10 children in total, these include William b1787. Prior to that there were:

Richard b1781
Margaret b1783
Samuel b1785

All born Frodsham.

Ellen is shown as, "Ellen (Ellin) (Nelly) (Ann) Deason, b1758, Wallasey", daughter of Joseph Deason and Margaret Norris. Ellen died c01/06/2849, Frodsham.

John Smith was the son of Richard Smith who died 1783 in Netherton, Frodsham. His mother was Hannah Lydiat, born 1722 Halton, Cheshire. John Smith b1761 had 7 siblings according to this tree.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this but it looks to be worth pursuing.

Jo

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
Thanks for that information. I will try and do a bit more research into surname variations etc to find an ellen which was born in that decade.
Thanks again,
Pendlelad
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer