Author Topic: KOYLI 2nd Battalion  (Read 2454 times)

Offline RedFeatherBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
KOYLI 2nd Battalion
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could assist with my research.

I'm researching my Great Great Grandfather - Daniel Dunnell B:1889 in Norwich.

He was a Lance Corporal in the 2nd Battalion - Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, when he was captured on 1st Nov 1914 in Messines, France. He stayed in the POW camp in Germany until the 18th Dec 1918.

I was wondering if anyone would know which POW camp he was taken to?

I can't seem to find his service record either - the information I have is through searching on Ancestry and through his Divorce Record that I obtained from the National Archives.

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Many thanks,
Carmel
Norwich, Norfolk: Dunnell, Easton, Austin
Pontefract, Yorkshire: Dunnell
Bolton, Lancashire: Bancroft
Norfolk: Hannant

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: KOYLI 2nd Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmel,

Here on the Red Cross POW Website is a reference to your man. He is under Dunnel, Daniel.

First Reference - Link here: http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3265877/3/2/

Second Reference - Link here: http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/3265877/1872/506/

On the second link you will have to scroll down to page 506 on which he appears, he is no4 on the list.

Unfortunately it just shows the date of his capture  at Messines, not which POW camp he was in.

Hope this helps anyway.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline RedFeatherBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, David.

That's as far as I got too.  :( I would love to know where he was taken.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmel,

Looking further back in the book on the ICRC records it looks like he was at "Doeberitz".

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I did see the word 'Doeberitz' on looking back through the pages but I wasn't sure about it! Many thanks for clarifying it!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmel,

If you google 'Doeberitz' prisoner of war camp, there is plenty of information about it. Doeberitz was apparently near Berlin in Germany.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 15 09:42 BST (UK) »
Carmel/David,

I only came to that conclusion as they seem to be in the same book and looking at the opposing page the pen lines seem to carry theough.

You have to be careful with these documents as these books can be made up of papers from different lists so, Doberitz would be my best guess.

You could try looking at the NA to seee if there are any Foreign Office papers (ref: FO) that relate to the camp.

Happy hunting

Regards

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline RedFeatherBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your help!
:)