Author Topic: Query re Marriage at Vernham Dean in 1766!  (Read 1708 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Query re Marriage at Vernham Dean in 1766!
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Yesterday evening while perusing Phillimore's book of Hampshire Marriages published in 1900 on archive.org, I came across a potential marriage for a direct ancestor of mine.

The marriage took place at Vernham Dean on 24th Nov 1766 and was between Charles North & Margaret Alexander by Licence.

On quite a large number of the marriages shown in the book, the condition of the brides & grooms were noted (ie batchelor, spinster etc) but not against this couple. Could sks check the original for me to see if any info was left out of the book please?

Also the book noted that Vernham Dean 'marriages between 11th Feb 1672 & 6th Oct 1754 are missing.' Is this true? Are they missing? If so that is rather frustrating as at least two of my direct ancestors probably married within this time frame!

Modified to add - Also where would I go to view Hampshire Marriage Licences if such exist? Are they available to view online?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Query re Marriage at Vernham Dean in 1766!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
There are gaps in the registers of Vernham Dean - my book detailing the holdings in Winchester says there are gaps in marriages between 1621-28, 1645-52, 1672-95 while marriages 1700-1754 are missing.  Baptisms seem to be missing for a whole century 1700-1800, although the BTs cover 1780-98 and 1800.  So you may well be out of luck.  :-\

I've checked the Winchester Marriage Licences (two volumes available here:
https://archive.org/details/hampshireallega02wincgoog and volume 2 here https://archive.org/details/HampshireAllegationsForMarriageLicencesV2  and there isn't one for Charles North and Margaret Alexander.  This perhaps indicates the licence was issued by a higher ecclesiastical authority, although I haven't managed to locate one.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Query re Marriage at Vernham Dean in 1766!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated indeed!

I had a feeling that I might be out of luck re the marriage gaps! Oh well! ;D

Perhaps, I'll have to look around the surrounding villages etc, in case they married elsewhere, bit of a needle in a haystack job I think tho! ;D

Thanks for the links, they may well come in useful as I have rather a lot of ancestry in Hampshire! ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)