Author Topic: Holland family Faringdon  (Read 1931 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holland family Faringdon
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am posting to see if anyone has come across the Holland family in Faringdon or nearby. I am searching for the birth of David Holland born c 1738 married to Frances Robins in 1758 at Chedworth. I can find neither of these in the Gloucestershire records but I am pretty certain Frances does come from the Chedworth area ( Rob(b)ins is a very common name here.)

I am making this request as a wildcard as when I looked at the actual Baptism record of one of their children---Mary I found the following entry:

Born 29 December 1764 at Faringdon Berks baptized 8th June 1767 Chedworth.

Any suggestions would be most welcome .

Many thanks
Sue

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Holland family Faringdon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

One of the witnesses at the wedding was a Joseph Smith.

The next marriage in the register (after that of David and Frances) was Joseph Smith, he married a BETTY ROBINS ~ could be a sister of Frances.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holland family Faringdon
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 06:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Claire. I have had a look at both the IGI and the Chedworth Baptism Register and have found other sisters but not a Frances/Francis

Mary to Charles and Elizabeth 1729
Bettey 1736 and Sarah 1738.

Also  interesting is the fact that Betty and Joseph had a son Stephen Robbins Smith baptized 1759 Coln St Dennis who it seems married Mary Holland 1789 Chedworth. This Mary was the daughter of David Holland and Frances Robbins...it would be a case of first cousins marrying !! There is obviously a link but??  As I said Holland is a very unusual last name in Chedworth but Robbins/Robins is a common name so Betty and Frances could be cousins!!

Anyway thank you for alerting me to this.

Regards
Sue