Author Topic: Cane Hill Asylum Lookup Request: Mary Pearson Dewhurst 1848-1893  (Read 2333 times)

Offline janab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cane Hill Asylum Lookup Request: Mary Pearson Dewhurst 1848-1893
« on: Wednesday 01 April 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, My gg grandmother, Mary Pearson Dewhurst suffered her first attack of dementia at the age of 30 in 1848. She m. my gg grandfather William Henry Dewhurst in 1840 and he became a London Constable in 1838, retiring in 1855 when my g grand father was age 1. This is confusing as Mary's first bout w/demetia happened right between the birth of her second child but before the births of her 3rd and 4th children. She is not enumerated in 1851 with the family, so I do not know if she was institutionalized then. The first info I have is 1854, when she was institutionalized at Surrey Lunatic Asylum. I know she went to Cane Hill Asylum in 1890 and died in 1993. She also spent time at Springfield Asylum, but died back at Cane Hill....

A wonderful volunteer helped me find some info a few years ago, but what was sent was lost in a computer crash abt 2000. I can offer this info: "Records for Springfield Hospital, Wandsworth, held at the London Metro Archives show the following entry in the index to medical case books (female) c1878-c1938 (ref 6367/1/16): Mary Dewhurst, patient no. 1394, discharged 29 February 1884." Her Medical Certificate is recorded in "Female Case Book 15   ref: 3043/5/9/2/21  page 1" (I do not know which particular record book this is from (sigh) states: "From incoherence of replies, laughing immoderately and indication of countenance of insanity. Refuses food and has before been under confinement. Mary Dewhurst has been Ramble in conversation and has very little memory. Feeble health and rather thin condition. Has an old injury to leg and is confined to chair."

I have 2 general questions, plus a look-up request.

1) does anyone know if conjugal visits allowed at Asylums?
2) are there records of visitations from family members?

I live in California (sigh) and will happily trade look ups. If any kind soul would be willing to check the Croydon Archives or the London Metro Archives or the Surrey History Centre for whatever records exist between 1848 - 1893 to fill out Mary's story, I would be eternally grateful!

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cane Hill Asylum Lookup Request: Mary Pearson Dewhurst 1848-1893
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
I have similar workhouse records for my g/grandmother but no visits were recorded just the basics the same as you already have.

Offline janab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jolee!

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
You are welcome, I also asked about visitors it seems it was hit and miss depending on what mood of the head of the asylum was in.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 15 18:30 BST (UK) »
Could this have been post natal depression which was resolved by time in an asylum (or at least, should I say, time in the asylum gave her time to recover), and she then came out to live with the family (and get pregnant again)?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 15 07:27 BST (UK) »
Could you confirm this is the 1851 census for the family without Mary?

Civil Parish:   Finchley   Ecclesiastical parish:   St Mary     Middlesex
Registration district:   Barnet  Sub-registration district:   South Mimms
William Dewhurst   35  Hackney, Middlesex   Police constable
Caroline Dewhurst   9  St Pancras
Mary Dewhurst   7  St Pancras
Madeline Dewhurst   2   Finchley

There are several patients born around 1818 in various 'hospitals' on the 1851 census in Middlesex, Surrey etc on ancestry.