Author Topic: Brass Band Composer from Wrexham  (Read 1750 times)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brass Band Composer from Wrexham
« on: Wednesday 01 April 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
A couple of years ago I discovered that one of my distant cousins born in the 1860s was a brass band conductor and composer. This interested me especially as two of my main hobbies include brass bands and family history, so I am eager to find out more about his work. Samuel Lloyd was involved with bands around the Wrexham area which included Rhosrobin and Wrexham Volunteers and I also understand from various newspaper articles that he had works published with Messrs. Crane and Son of Wrexham. Among some of his works was a grand march entitled "The Eaglet". I would be very interested in finding out more about his works if possible and putting together more of a picture of his musical career. I am currently a member of the Yorkshire Imperial Band and I have come across several unpublished scores from the 19th century in our library which lead me to believe that these ones of Samuel Lloyd could have ended up with a local band.

Any help with this thread would be much appreciated as I would very much like to obtain photocopies of these scores if they are still in existence.

Thanks,

Henning

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Band Composer from Wrexham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Henning: I had a similar scenario with my wife's line but in Rhyl. Try this site first, because he is listed between 1895-1900 with the bands you have mentioned, and Ruabon.

http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/NORTH-WALES-BRASS-BAND-ASSOCIATION-MARCH-CONTEST/

There is an index on the right which includes conductors. Click on that and select 'L' from the alphabetical index along the top.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
Eldon,what do the numbers alongside the Conductors relate to?I'm sure my brother's name features.

Regards#
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
Eldon,what do the numbers alongside the Conductors relate to?I'm sure my brother's name features.
Regards#
William Russell Jones.
William, It is the number of appearances made in competitions. I have sent you a PM.
Regards Eldon.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eldon.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk