Author Topic: Rev. William Deighton, of Brancepeth circa 1774  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev. William Deighton, of Brancepeth circa 1774
« on: Wednesday 01 April 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am interested in finding out more about William Deighton who according his marriage record on 3 Mar 1775 is described as Rev. William Deighton of Brancepeth when he married Elizabeth Madgen (sometime spelled Madgin or Madgon) at St. Brandon's church, East Brandon, Durham, England.

I have found a baptism for an Elizabeth Madgin daughter of Thomas Madgin on 24 Apr 1753 at St. Brandon's church, East Brandon, and a baptism for a William Deighton son of William Deighton on 14 Sep 1742 at All Saints church, Lanchester, which seem possible contenders for my William Deighton and his wife.

I believe Rev. William Deighton is my wife's 6th great grandfather.

I am keen to establish his date of baptism, parents and death/burial.

Does any one know of any sources listing for clergymen and where they were employed in Durham at this time?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. William Deighton, of Brancepeth circa 1774
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
There might be a connection to Lanchester - here's his marriage bond, the other bondsman was from Lanchester  :-\

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11092-45636-38?cc=1675690&wc=M6KL-D2S:129229201,129229202

According to Family Search and Durham Records Online the marriage was in 1774, not 1775
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
You could try the Clergy Database at http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/ though in a quick look I didn't find him.

Another possibility is the records of the Diocese and Bishop of Durham, held as one of the Special Collections in the University of Durham Library (https://www.dur.ac.uk/library/asc/collection_information/cldload/?collno=45), especially those relating to ordinations and the institution and licensing of clergy. Some clergy are listed individually in the online catalogue, eg there's a William Dighton (Deighton) who was ordained in 1788 (ref: DDR/EA/CLO/3/1788/6), though this one can't be yours if he was described as "Rev" in 1775.

This one that I've found appears in the Clergy Database, with reference also to his time at Oxford University. That's another place worth checking: many clergy were graduates of Oxford or Cambridge, and are consequently found in their alumni lists. (In this case, though, don't get too excited, as I think these were among the major sources used in compiling the Clergy Database.)

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
According to this tree http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1126852&id=I25 William was born in Chester le Street in 1747.
I can't see any supporting evidence, though  :-\
It states that William died in 1810 and is buried at Great Lumley.
Here's the burial it refers to https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11768-167402-43?cc=1309819&wc=9K59-6TG:13618101,16337901,16337902

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
It would be nice to know if the information we've given has been of any use - or does it just duplicate information you've a!ready got  ???

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB and arthurk

Thanks for your very useful posts. Sorry for not replying sooner.

I have become confused by the two William Deightons, one born in 1742 who married Elizabeth Madgin at St. Brandon's church in Brancepeth on 3 Mar 1774 and the other born in 1747 who married Isabella Thompson 19 Sep 1768 in Chester le Street.

I have found two baptism records for daughters called Elizabeth of these two sets of parents. Elizabeth daughter of William and his wife Elizabeth Madgin baptized at St. Brandon's church in Brancepeth on 21 Feb 1777 and Elizabeth daughter of William and his wife Isabella baptized at St. Mary and St. Cuthbert's church in Chester le Street on 15 Sep 1772.

The conundrum I have is which pair have the daughter Elizabeth who marries Thomas Naggs on 7 Oct 1805 in Chester le Street.

I favour the William Deighton and Elizabeth Madgin pair as the parents of Elizabeth Deighton because of the baptism record of Elizabeth Deighton and her husband Thomas Naggs daughter Martha Naggs (my wife's 3rd great grandmother).

This baptism record for Martha Naggs of Great Lumley dated 9 Oct 1808 (born 28 May 1808) states that she is the 1st daughter of Thomas Naggs (pitman, native of Witton-le-Wear) by his wife Elizabeth Deighton (native of Brancepeth).

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen B

The rootsweb tree info you gave me the link for indicates a William Deighton who is educated and is described as a school teacher. This doesn't fit with the baptism records for the children of William Deighton and his wife Isabella Thompson which describe William Deighton as a moulder at the Whitehill furnace (near Chester le Street).

I am not sure how he would have become sufficiently educated to be described as a school teacher or indeed to create maps as is described in the rootsweb link.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Richard