Author Topic: Romany Gypsy Traditions Help!  (Read 2365 times)

Offline shell1703

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Romany Gypsy Traditions Help!
« on: Wednesday 01 April 15 21:12 BST (UK) »
I need some help understanding Romany traditions as my family all come from Romany Gypsy's namely the Mobbs, Smith, Grays, Boswell and Hall's. My Father and Mother were Gypsy's and i was in and out of social Care for most of my childhood. Because of this i am trying to piece together why i was taken away all the time, i was told it was because of neglect. Alot of the traditions fit with how i was brought up, but many people who ' Claim ' to have Gypsy heritage say that my parents actions had nothing to do with why i had the childhood i had.

So i just need some clarification as my family did not want anything to do with me when i was a child.

My father would physically abuse me, while my mother and Grandmother looked on as my father told them not to get involved.

I was not allowed to interact with other children, only those from the family.

I was not allowed to go to School, i was taught how to read by my Auntie. When i was placed into Social Care i was placed into School, and it was about this time the family did not seem to want to have anything to do with me.

I was not allowed to bring ' outsiders ' back to the house.

I would have to Cook and clean etc and look after my brother and mother.

There are more things that happened but the above fits into what ii have read about the culture of Gypsy's. I have been told that this was an old practice and that they do not do this anymore. I am just looking to see if this was a gypsy way of bringing up girls, or was it just them been a bad family.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Romany Gypsy Traditions Help!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 15 07:59 BST (UK) »
hi. shell. I am sorry for your last trouble. you don't give a date. so I will try to keep the reply short. even today.Romany families keep girls out of school after primary.and are very protective of them. but I have not heard of abuse. it may just be something that sadly happened to you. women generally don't let their children be hurt. but parents can be strict. and some Romany folks don't like their children mixing.with for gorgios/ non gypsies. changing now. but my own father was taken into care. ie. borstal age I. because he. had stolen some cheese. and had no fixed abode. a traveller. and my g.father could not get him out. till he was 16.  it was the law in 1935. watch Cathy come home. a sixties film.may give you some idea. not the same.but shows what authority can do.if you are classed as homeless.ie travellers. once again I am sorry for your childhood. but it's not what I have known in Romany folki. generally. they love and adore children. yours sincerely. rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline shell1703

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. I was in care from the 70's through to the 80's, i am just starting to learn about my family history as my father died young and my mother just says she could not remember. So your words provide some insight in to why they were like they were. Its hard to talk about this subject to those who are in the know, my family to this day refuse to speak to me regarding the Gypsy stuff.

I remember a stranger walking up to me when i was in my late teens saying he knew who i was and if i ever needed help etc i should contact him. Been young you brush it off but i now wish i kept the number!. He said he was a cousin from the Mobbs Family ( my Grandmother was a Mobbs ), and some still follow the old gypsy ways apparently.

Offline hulk360119

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
I need some help understanding Romany traditions as my family all come from Romany Gypsy's namely the Mobbs, Smith, Grays, Boswell and Hall's. My Father and Mother were Gypsy's and i was in and out of social Care for most of my childhood. Because of this i am trying to piece together why i was taken away all the time, i was told it was because of neglect. Alot of the traditions fit with how i was brought up, but many people who ' Claim ' to have Gypsy heritage say that my parents actions had nothing to do with why i had the childhood i had.

So i just need some clarification as my family did not want anything to do with me when i was a child.

My father would physically abuse me, while my mother and Grandmother looked on as my father told them not to get involved.

I was not allowed to interact with other children, only those from the family.

I was not allowed to go to School, i was taught how to read by my Auntie. When i was placed into Social Care i was placed into School, and it was about this time the family did not seem to want to have anything to do with me.

I was not allowed to bring ' outsiders ' back to the house.

I would have to Cook and clean etc and look after my brother and mother.

There are more things that happened but the above fits into what ii have read about the culture of Gypsy's. I have been told that this was an old practice and that they do not do this anymore. I am just looking to see if this was a gypsy way of bringing up girls, or was it just them been a bad family.
what boswell as i have levi who married urainia lee i have zachiral boswell who married justinia dighton who was the daughter of my grt grt grt granfather james dighton  levi who married urainia lee was zach and justinia son  they also had 3 other kids kate she married a joesph  redworth and john  emily