Author Topic: George Carroll +Mary Eloise Chapman  (Read 19287 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: George Carroll +Mary Eloise Chapman
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am very sorry to have not visited Rootschat for so long. This was because of family illness. I've lost track of everything. Thank you all for all your help. Canadian Cousin, send me a message.

Kind regards

Ian

Paulette hasn't been online since April 2016.  Maybe if you try a pm she might pick up the notification

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
Smith - Sileby + Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Chamberlain - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Heath - Coleorton, Thringstone + Coalville, Leicestershire.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck Ian - its always nice to find a contact

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 08 January 18 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Welcome back, and sorry to hear of family illness.

Fingers crossed that Paulette picks up your PM.

Best wishes,
DB

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you DB.

Well, I thought I'd tell the story of the Heath family. This thread starts with me looking for Elizabeth Heath, who became Elizabeth Chapman and then Enstone and travelling to Canada with her children.

The family tree doesn't go back much further, but her Father was William Heath of Thringstone. His Mother was Elizabeth Heath of Coleorton and his Father was William Gibson Heath of the same place. All place names are small Leicestershire villages located next to each other.

I have been unable to go back any further than this. However, the facts I do know are interesting.

William Heath was born in Thringstone in 1842. Before his 18th Birthday in 1860, he ran away from home to join the Army. He enlisted in the 62nd Regiment of Foot and served in Ireland.

Whilst there he met his future wife and deserted to be with her. He was found three months later and returned to the Regiment.

For his actions he was sentenced to 50 lashes, to be branded with a D for Deserter and imprisoned for 105 days. This was a man's punishment and William had lied about his age in order to receive a man's wage. So rather than admit the truth and probably have to repay the money as well, he took the punishment.

He was made to work as an Officer's servant and was never given promotion, but he married the Irish girl and took her to India with him and served for 22 years and received his Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

Elizabeth Heath and my Great Grandfather John Heath were their two surviving children. Two died in India.

John became a soldier, first enlisting in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. When he served in India himself
He transferred to the 62nd Regiment of Foot.

He left the Army in 1896 and was recalled to fight in the Boer War.

On Valentines Day 1900, he was taken Prisoner of War and spent three and a half months in captivity. He survived the war and returned home.

Offline jaclac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 08 January 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
WOW  Ian! What incredible information you have found. I am sorry I haven't replied before now, but,  I too have been very ill. now can you please tell me how I am related to your g-g-grandfather? This tree thing is really quite confusing:).  It is fantastic you came back here and that we were able to connect. Keep in touch, and take care. Paullette

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulette,

Well, your Grandmother was Mary Eloise Chapman, Daughter of Robson Blyth Chapman and Elizabeth Heath, my Great, Great Aunt.

So, your Great, Great Grandparents were also my Great, Great Grandparents, William Heath of Thringstone, Leicestershire and Jane  Chambers of County Down, Ireland., mentioned in my last post.

I am descended from your Grandmother's Uncle John Heath, also mentioned in my last post.

So our Great, Great, Great Grandfather  was William Gibson Heath and although I originally said that Elizabeth Heath of Coleorton was his wife, I meant his Mother, as William Gibson Heath was born in 1807.

I don't know the name of his Father.

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
3rd May 1863 William Heath married Jane Chambers at Saint Annes Church of Ireland, in the Parish of Shankill, Civil District Belfast,County Antrim.

Offline jaclac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 18 January 18 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ian for all of this. I find it all very interesting.