Author Topic: Margaret Jane Caskey Seatter, born Stronsay c 1872  (Read 4839 times)

Offline emsquared

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Jane Caskey Seatter, born Stronsay c 1872
« on: Thursday 02 April 15 02:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Margaret Jane Caskey Seatter or descendents? She was the 2nd  daughter of William Seatter and Ann Davidson Brodie. She married William Holland MacKenzie and they had at least one child, also named William. The three were living in Edinburgh around 1908 as I have seen a postcard sent by Margaret to relatives in New Zealand. Her brother George Seatter emigrated to New Zealand and has descendents there while a second brother David has relatives in the US.
McKenzie, Alva, Scotland
Seatter, Westray and Stronsay, Orkney
Booth, Stawell, Victoria, Australia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jane Caskey Seatter, born Stronsay c 1872
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 15 06:38 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for them on the 1911 census on Scotland's People? You can search for free but will need to buy credits to view any records. If you have a year of birth for Margaret you should be able to narrow it down a bit as there are a lot of results without any ages given.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 15 06:48 BST (UK) »
On SP there is a death in 1958 in Edinburgh City for a Margaret Jane MacKenzie other name Seater (one t) who may be her. Once again, if you have a year of birth for her you may be able to determine more accurately if this is likely to be your Margaret.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search/death/index.aspx

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 15 07:00 BST (UK) »
oops, sorry, I should take more care - I see you have her year of birth as c1872. :-[ Good news is that it all tallies for the above death to be the correct Margaret.

Offline emsquared

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Definitely the right person. Found that death record on Scotlands People and also the birth record of William Holland McKenzie in May 1905 which enables me to put dates on the postcards I have as twice the age of the young William Holland is recorded.
McKenzie, Alva, Scotland

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
no info on Margaret but found this while looking: In loving memory of Ann D Brodie beloved wife of William Seatter died 27-8-1926 aged 86yrs and William F Seatter died 29-10-1937 aged 92yrs also little WILLIE died 29-6-1884 in St Nicholas Cemetery Stronsay
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline emsquared

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you akc. That is Margaret's parents and brother. I have now located Margaret's resting place. She is buried in the Easter Cemetery, Edinburgh with her husband and son, both named William MacKenzie. Margaret died in 1958, her husband in 1959 and their son in 1954. I have no further information on her brother David Brodie Seatter but as he also lived in Edinburgh he may be buried in the same cemetery.
McKenzie, Alva, Scotland

Offline emsquared

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 January 21 12:43 GMT (UK) »
An update on this one.  As there were three names on the headstone at the Eastern Cemetery, Edinburgh (Margaret Jane Caskey Seatter, husband William MacKenzie and their son William Holland MacKenzie)  I assumed that the son William Holland MacKenzie had not married and likely had no children. 

I have now confirmed that he did in fact marry and was living in Leeds with wife and family at the time of his death.  He was cremated in Leeds.  Perhaps some of his ashes are buried in the Eastern Cemetery. Or perhaps he is just recorded on the stone.

I still have no knowledge of where Margaret Jane Caskey Seater's brother David Brodie Seatter is buried.

It is very difficult to get information on the Eastern Cemetery.
McKenzie, Alva, Scotland