Author Topic: How would someone from Brailes around 1665 migrate to New Jersey , usa  (Read 12012 times)

Offline Iowa-Heritage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How would someone from Brailes around 1665 migrate to New Jersey , usa
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 April 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
Excellent advice . I bow to your wisdom ! Thank you all .

Offline Iowa-Heritage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 April 15 03:33 BST (UK) »
Looking for Roger's father
Heritage, Roger ** b: 1450 in Burton Dorset, Coventry, Warwickshire, England d: 1495 in Burton Dorset, Coventry, Warwickshire, England

Any ideas of where to look first ?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 April 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Could this be Burton Dassett about 10mls. from Brailes ?
I think we've already established this is where he was born.
Parish Registers were introduced in the 1500's & many of the earlier pages don't exist, however the Burton Dassett Registers exist from 1564 & are held at the Warwickshire Records Office but this is still too late for what you are looking for.
Only the forebears of noble families are traceable before this mainly through wills, Heraldic Visitations etc.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 April 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
People migrate for many reasons. Financial reasons being common and also political. 1665 was the year of the Great plague in London and although it didn't spread so far as the Black Death had done there was still a great fear of plague. But overseas travel was risky so I doubt if plague alone would have been enough to send someone abroad. The Restoration was opening up "new business opportunities" in the colonies or the second Dutch Wars which saw the English capture New Amsterdam (aka New York) so he may have left for military reasons. Also people tended to move around quite a bit in search of employment. all speculation of course.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline Iowa-Heritage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 April 15 06:58 BST (UK) »
Yes sir that topic has been covered it was easier to copy paste info I had found . I figured it was a long shot and do consider myself lucky to have gotten as far as what I was able to . Well shoot I guess all that is left is to close the topic . Dang ! Thank you all !

Offline Iowa-Heritage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 April 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
Ha { pats himself on the back }
A Country Merchant, 1495-1520: Trading and Farming at the End of the Middle Ages .
In this book is a line in which I am going to copy paste . So be patient !

The protagonist of the story, the ‘country merchant’ himself, is John Heritage, a somewhat enigmatic figure of whom we would know very little, if it were not for the exceptional and somewhat mysterious survival of one of his rather rough and ready account books amongst the muniments of Westminster Abbey. John was born around 1470 in the south-east Warwickshire village of Burton Dasset, the son of Roger Heritage, and was named after his grandfather. The elder John had established a respectable holding of around 30 acres in the village during the mid-15th century. As the eldest son, John junior took tenancy of the family lands, including additional leased holdings in neighbouring villages, on his father’s death in 1495. He was not, evidently, one for tradition or sentimentality, and quickly sold the original holdings in return for a lease on a more coherent parcel of lands in Burton in 1497, but by 1500 took the opportunity of his wife’s inheritance to move to the small town of Moreton-in-Marsh.  From this point onward, Heritage combined the activities of a farmer with that of a small scale wool merchant or ‘brogger’.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 April 15 07:11 BST (UK) »
When was the book "A Country Merchant" published?

It would be interesting to know if there is any factual paperwork to back up this 'story', in particular the whereabouts of the account books mentioned. (and how they came to be in Westminster Abbey)

It is interesting to find mention of ancestors in various publications and tempting to believe what is contained within them as fact, but it is probably advisable to just use these as a guide for further research rather than a primary source of information, as we know that in the past, as now, errors, intentional and otherwise, did, and still do, occur.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 April 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
I saw this piece a few days ago but it doesn't really say anything new.
You already know Roger had 2 sons John & Thomas who are documented elsewhere.
It says John was named after his grandfather but you can only assume it's the one on the paternal side. He may have been named after his mother's father.
There's also this which you may have seen:
As I continue my research into the Heritage family history I am more convinced that N. Allcock made assumptions as to the position in the family of Agnes & Alice Heritage based on Rogers Heritages Will. I have found references to Agnes as the heiress of Thomas Heritage & Alice as the heiress of John Heritage both of Burton Dassett. Unfortunately many references do not differentiate between the manor of Burton Dassett or the parish of Burton Dasset. I have found references of Thomas Heritage & John Heritage both dying in 1482. As this was a family of Yeoman it would be reasonable to assume they were killed at the Battle of Berwick under Richard 111 as English losses were high. If this were the case it is highly likely they were the brothers of Roger and he would have taken their children Agnes & Alice into his household and raised them as his own. I find it difficult to comprehend that a family would have two daughters named Alice living under the same roof. Cousins yes, daughters no. If you have a close look at the Register of the Guild of the Holy Cross from Stratford on Avon(online)you will find that this family were members of the Guild. Thomas from Bishops Itchington, John from Burton Dassett,Roger from Avon Dassett and John from Merton in the Marsh. Clearly the line of succession of the family for 100 years.

Myllicent Jeckyll of Newington married first Hugh De Radcliffe, second Thomas Heritage the London Skinner, third Peter Temple, Thomas's cousin. After the death of Thomas the skinner 1544 Millicent Heritage the daughter of Thomas was paid 75 pounds by Peter Temple for her leases inherited from her father.

Chris Dyer's book on John Heritage (Agnes Spencer's and Alice Temple's eldest brother) came out last year - it is A Country Merchant, 1495-1520: Trading and Farming at the End of the Middle Ages (OUP, 2012). It can be read on-line, I hope, at http://lib.myilibrary.com/Open.aspx?id=368103

The family are discussed in chapter 2, and there is a family tree on p. 28, which is essentially the same as that worked out by Nat Alcock and outlined by John Higgins in the 2007 posts above.

According to this research there's an anomaly between the Heraldic Visitation & Roger Heritage's will with the researchers believing that the Visitation tree is wrong which is quite probable as many weren't strictly accurate.

In bold you can see the researcher has assumed John to be the father of Roger as a continuing member of the Guild which usually passed from father to son but this is only proof of sorts.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Iowa-Heritage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 April 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Awesome references very cool reading . Thank you for providing that . It does seem a muddled .