Author Topic: MACKIE. Isabella & son Adam  (Read 3706 times)

Offline n.coaster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MACKIE. Isabella & son Adam
« on: Thursday 02 April 15 07:03 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any help given in my search for Isabella Mackie and her illegitimate son
Adam Mackie b.1880
Isabella was born 3 July 1851 & bapt 16 Aug 1851 Parish of Tough, Aberdeenshire.
1861 CENSUS she is  age 9yrs living with her parents John Mackie & Isabel Reid.
1871 CENSUS she is  age 19yrs working as a servant at  Meickle Endovie Parish of Alford.
1881 CENSUS she is 29yrs  working as a Domestic Servant at Upper Greens Parish Tough,
for Rachel Archibald  her 6 month old son Adam is also with her at this address.
After this I cannot find them at another address either together or separately.
I cannot find a death or marriage for Isabella. Adam still eludes me.
I have found the Adam at Udny with different Mackie parents they have another child the same age.
I have wondered if Isabella gave the child to them and they raised them as twins.
Thanks in advance

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MACKIE. Isabella & son Adam
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
I note that the Adam at Udny was with his parents in 1881 whilst Adam & his mother were together.
I wonder if Isabella married and Adam assumed his mothers married name. There are 13 marriages in Aberdeenshire for an Isabella Mackie (with variations). Have you checked these on Scotlands People?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here is Isabel:

Marriage:
1888    PATERSON   JAMES   MACKIE   ISABELLA   INVERURIE   /ABERDEEN   204/00 0017

1891 census (I haven’t looked for 1901 & 1911):

1 Prince’s Lane Inverurie
James Paterson   36
Isabel Paterson    35
Helen Paterson   2
James Paterson   8 months

Death:
1931 Feb 5, at 6. 10 pm.  Isabella Paterson died aged 75 at 2 ?? Lane, Inverurie, Aberdeen from senilitis and bronchitis over 8 days.  Her parents were James MacKie, a crofter, & Isabella MacKie, maiden name Reid, both deceased.  The informant was her widower, James Paterson, labourer (present)
1931   PATERSON   ISABELLA       MACKIE   F   75   INVERURIE   /ABERDEEN   204/00 0010

If you send your e-mail in a PM I'll forward the death cert.

brigau

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
From the 1871 census: George MacKie, born 1849 Udny, a Blacksmith, was the son of Adam MacKie & Margaret Marr.  It’s worth noting that Adam and Margaret also had a daughter called Isabella who was born in 1841.

By 1881 Geoge was still in a Blacksmith in Udny and married to Jane.  Their children are listed as
George MacKie 6
James Young 12
George Young 10
Alexander Young 8

In 1891 their children were:
Agnes MacKie 15
Adam MacKie 11
James MacKie 11
William MacKie 7
George Young, now aged 21 is listed as an employee / servant, not a son as in 1881

In 1901 their children were;
Agnes Jane MacKie 25
Adam MacKie 21

It’s worth checking the original entries at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ for these census returns, particularly the 1891, to establish the correct relationship between George, Jane and their multitude of “children” with different names!!  A*try sometimes get it muddled.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
A bit more for you to consider:
There are several A*try public trees that include Adam MacKie, son of Isabella MacKie.  This one, http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/45965638/person/6499083465 has him aboard the Cassandra, Glasgow to Montreal in April 1911 (the tree owner has mistyped this as 1908). He is recorded as age 31 and a clerk.  He was also recorded in the 1911 Canadian census.  (The 1901 Scottish census showing Adam, born at Udny, son of George & Jane, records him as a clerk, if I remember)

The same tree also shows a birth record for a previous illegitimate child of Isabella’s born in 1875, named Isabella Esson.  In 1891 she is with her grandparents, John & Isabella Mackie at Tough.  Isabella Esson died in 1954 at Alford, Aberdeen

Offline n.coaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 April 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies to my query.
The Isabella Mackie married to Paterson looks like my girl.
She did have 2 illegitimate children Isabella Esson & Adam Mackie
The Ancestry tree mention was mine so I may have some info re Adam incorrect I will now work on that.
You people are wonderful.
As an Aussie it is sometimes hard to understand the geographics of the area.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
Finding Isabella Paterson was purely serendipitous:  Noticing that she had consistently given Tough as her birthplace I did a loose search in the 1891 census for “Isabella”, born Aberdeenshire around 1850 with “Tough” as an exact keyword.  Unfortunately this hasn’t worked for “Adam” born at “Keig”.

There was indeed an Adam Mackie born in 1879 at Udny so I feel that the one showing in the 1891 & 1901 census did legitimately belong to George the Blacksmith and his wife Jane.  Possibly it was he who went to Canada?  And possibly the Young children were Jane's from a previous marriage?

Offline n.coaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
Adam Mackie is certainly elusive.
I am not sure but I think I did find him reg at Tough as well as Keig ??
I will see if I can find that info again.
Jean from Oz