Author Topic: The Family of John EYLLE (d.c. 1691), Yeoman of Hardingstone  (Read 3650 times)

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Family of John EYLLE (d.c. 1691), Yeoman of Hardingstone
« on: Thursday 02 April 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know about the family of John EYLLE/EYLE (who left a Will proved in 1691), who was Yeoman of Hardingstone? He appears to have been the John EYLE, who held lands in East End Fields of Hardingstone in 1660. His daughter, Ann MANNING (previously EVANS) (nee EYLE) (pre-1655-1718) married firstly John EVANS (d.c. 1668) by 1667, and had a son with him, but then married William MANNING (d.1709) of Cotton End, Hardingstone in Preston Deanery on January 26, 1670, by licence, and had further issue with him in Hardingstone.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: The Family of John EYLLE (d.c. 1691), Yeoman of Hardingstone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
You may already have these -

The Northamptonshire Marriages Index shows ...

John Eyle = Ann Clarke of Hardingstone 1635 May 19 at Milton Malsor C of E

John Eyle of Hardingstone yeoman = Elizabeth Waple of Northampton 1695 May 4 at Northampton St Giles C of E by license

The Northamptonshire Baptisms Index (beginning 1650) shows ...

... all Hardingstone C of E ...

Robert Eyle s/o William bpt 1653 Sep 30

Elizabeth Eyle d/o John bpt 1656 Jan 25
Mary Eyle d/o John bpt 1672 Mar 16
Elizabeth Eyle d/o John bpt 1673 Dec 9
Ann Eyle d/o John bpt 1676 Jul 12
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Sugarbakers,

Thank you for this, as I do not have access to these Indexes, or I would have consulted them.

Unfortunately there seem to be several John EYLEs in Hardingstone in the 17th century, but most of these entries seem to refer to the family of the younger ones, and local records seem to have been disrupted by the Civil War.

John EYLE, who married Ann CLARKE of Hardingstone in Milton Malsor on May 19, 1635, could well be the parents of Ann MANNING (nee EYLE) (pre-1655-1718), but the link has yet to be made.
A Widow EYLE, aged 92, was buried in Hardingstone on October 5, 1707 (i.e. born circa 1615).

Offline Max Lang

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
This may be of interest, its a record card from the collection of papers of the Bouverie family of Delapre Abbey, Hardingstone:-

B(D)479   Dated 25 January 1720 [1721]
Copy of Will of
John Eyle of Hardingstone
To wife, messuage and lands settled on her as jointure
To son-in-law Joseph Wade after her death
Yardlands bought from Robert Packwood on condition he pay his two sons John Wade and Nathanial Wade £50 each when 21
To son-in-law Benjamin Clarke <?> ½ yardland bought from Robert Packwood called Lack’s ½ yardland
To son-in-law Benjamin Clarke ½ yardlands called Brightons and Townsend Close on condition he pays his two children Elizabeth Clarke & Mary Clarke £50 each when 21
And he pays £4 per annum to Joseph Wade during life of wife of <testament>
To grandson Eyle Clarke, son of Joseph Clarke, messuage or farmhouse in Hardingstone where testator dwells in and 2 messuages occupied by J Holloway and Thomas Coalman and 2 yardlands  being the ancient estate belonging to my family and Nether Close also part of ancient estate and close bought from [Thomas Gee] part of my wife’s jointure on condition he pay his brothers and sisters, Mary Clarke, Elizabeth Clarke, Anna Clarke, John Batholomew Clarke and Sarah Clarke £50 each at 21. But wife to have £10 per annum out of this estate until Eyle Clarke is 21
To 4 daughters Mary Clarke, wife of Joseph Clarke; Rebecca Eyle; Sarah Wade, wife of Joseph Wade and Susanna Clarke, wife of Benjamin Clarke messuage occupied by William Page in Hardingstone (particulars of wife’s jointure and bought from Robert Page)
To son-in-law Joseph Clarke, close in Great Houghton subject to 14/- per annum to make a coat for one of poorer men in parish of Hardingstone and after deaths of daughters said 14/- to be paid to vicar and choir
To daughter Rebecca Eyle £600
Wife £100
To grandchildren Mary Newcomb and John Newcomb £50 each
Rebecca Eyle sole executor

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Max,

Thank you for this, but I have already seen a transcription of the original, which is in the Northants Record Office.

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
John EYLLE, Yeoman of Hardingstone, made a Will on November 19, 1681, that was proved sometime in late 1691. In that he made the following bequests:

To his loveing wife, Ann, a half yardland known as Bright[ing], lately purchased of Mr WALKER, for her natural life
To his daughter Alice JEYES, the interest on £40 for life
To his daughter MANNING £40
To his daughter CLARKE £40
To his sonn John EYLLE 2 cottages known as Brises and Billings, and the said half yardland    (after mother’s decease)
Five shillings apiece to all his children and grandchildren

Overseers to the Will were his brothers John CLARKE and Joseph WALIS. Witnesses to the Will were William WALIS, William STEVENS and William BROWNESTER. A Widow EYLE, aged 92, was buried in Hardingstone on October 5, 1707 (i.e. born circa 1615). An Ann CLARKE appears to have been baptised in Hardingstone on September 17, 1615, daughter of Bartholomew CLARKE who had married Agnes WEST in Hardingstone on November 15, 1614.

This suggests that John was the John EYLE, who married Ann CLARKE of Hardingstone in Milton Malsor on May 19, 1635, but it is still a puzzle as to the origins of this John EYLE, and why they were married in Milton Malsor.

Offline send2maryann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me find out more about this family. I am a direct descendant of John Eylle who married Ann Clarke in 1635. Anything greatly appreciated.
Cook family from Walworth London, Holland family from Mobberley, Manning family from Exeter, Pickford family from Somerton, Goulden family from Canterbury, Woodley and Bo(w)les families from Cork, Lowrie famly from Scotland and Tasmania, Cumming family from Edinburgh, Connor, Chapman, Rich family from Romford

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Mary Ann,

John and Ann were the parents of Ann Eylle (c1644-1718), who married William Manning (pre-1656/ probably pre-1625-1719), Yeoman of Hardingstone, who were ancestors of my daughter's on her maternal side. What is your descent from them?

I am still not sure of John's origins, but a John EYLE, son of Thomas EYLE, was baptised in Hardingstone on  June 25, 1615.  A Thomas AILE married Katherine IVES in Hardingstone on July 31, 1603, but then a Thomas EILE married Alice PETIFERE in Hardingstone on April 21, 1607.

Ann CLARKE was baptised in Hardingstone on September 17, 1615, daughter of Bartholomew CLARKE (c1592-1677). Bartholomew CLARKE married Agnes WEST in Hardingstone on November 15, 1614. The marriage licences give that Bartholomew CLARKE of Hardingstone had a licence on November 15, 1614 to marry Agnes WEST in Hardingstone. Bartholomew CLARKE was baptised in Hardingstone on October 4, 1592, son of John CLARKE. Does this correspond with the information you have?

Offline send2maryann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 April 20 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Tickner,
So far my research has only been about my Manning family and stumbled across this thread for me to link in the Eylle/Eyle and Clarke families.
My ancestors come down through William Manning and Elizabeth Clarke, their son William Manning (c1712-1762) and his second wife Elizabeth Botterill (who married secondly Samuel Merivale) - then James Manning who married Lydia Edye and their son John Edye Manning who brought part my family to Australia. I have much more on the Manning family.
Regards, Mary-Ann.
Cook family from Walworth London, Holland family from Mobberley, Manning family from Exeter, Pickford family from Somerton, Goulden family from Canterbury, Woodley and Bo(w)les families from Cork, Lowrie famly from Scotland and Tasmania, Cumming family from Edinburgh, Connor, Chapman, Rich family from Romford