Author Topic: Stockport - street name  (Read 3250 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Stockport - street name
« on: Thursday 02 April 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Researching a line of Stockport ancestors, I found an address in FLITCROFT STREET. I'd like to know whereabouts this street was / is situated. I've tried googling, but nothing comes up. Can anyone help?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport - street name
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Can you provide the reference for the census?
And a name?

I can't see anything so far on any census for Flitcroft Street :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't supply a census address. I've tried the census myself (which I should have mentioned in my original post). I found the address pencilled on the reverse of a photograph taken sometime in the twenties. The photograph is of two people and a dog, taken in what looks like a small back yard. I've been assuming that it is Stockport, as that is where the subjects were born and, as far as I am presently aware, where they lived all their lives. Another mystery!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
There's a Flitcroft Street in Oldham?!
Another in Bolton?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
Can you scan in the photo?

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest and for your reply - but, sorry, I can't scan the picture - no access at present to a printer / scanner. The photo (b+w, of course) shows a woman in a white apron and what I believe is called a mob cap; she is sitting on a stool holding something out to a spaniel which is sitting up as if to beg. A man in a cloth cap is leaning on the wall beside a closed door. The steps and the surface of the yard are shining with rain. I don't think there's anything in the picture to help identify  the place. The house seems to be a little 2 up /2 down, very likely long demolished.
I think what I need to do when the Easter weekend is past is to contact the local studies library in Stockport, where I would hope there are copies of the electoral register, itemised by street name. If there really is (or was) no Flitcroft Street, then I'll have to rethink my view that this family always resided in Stockport.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Could the name be anything other than Flitcroft Street?

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
No - although written in pencil, it's clear enough in standard copperplate - looped 'l' and all three  't' crossed. 'i' dotted

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 April 15 00:30 BST (UK) »
I cannot see FLITCROFT STREET Stockport when a street search of the census is made, however you  do not state when you think the photograph was taken, whether there is a photographers name / address or who you think the couple are!

I would suggest either the Heritage section at Stockport Libraqyr or looking at trede directory for the street listing