Author Topic: Robert Wark Mitchell d.o.b. 1/2/1827 Barony  (Read 4799 times)

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Wark Mitchell d.o.b. 1/2/1827 Barony
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Looby,
I think my postings are getting mixed up, I am trying to add to my original posting.
I have viewed the original birth on Scotlandspeople and am just wondering about what was written on it.
It shows his fathers name and occupation and says Port Dundas, would that mean where the birth took place or where his father was born.
It also shows 2 witnesses, both males ,neither names I recognize as family.
Would parents choose friends before family as witnesses for a birth.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
I think you would need to post exactly what the OPR says word for word. But I would imagine if Port Dundas is written after John Mitchell's name and occupation it would refer to the area /parish where John came from.
I don't know that parents would necessarily chose friends over family to witness the christening. I suppose it would depend whether they had family nearby or not. They would perhaps ask other members of the church congregation whom they liked or were friends with, or maybe it was just who was there on the day :-\  These 2 men were witnessing the religious ceremony of baptism so I would imagine the parents knew and respected them.

Looby :)

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 August 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Looby,

Here's what is written on the OPR birth word for word.

John Mitchell carter P,Dundas and Ann Oliphant had their 6th child born 1st Feb bapt'd 18th March
named Robert Wark. Peter Duncan & William Blair Wit.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 August 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skippy,
I would say that means John Mitchell was from Port Dundas  :)
Looking at your thread , I've had a peek on Freecen at the 1841 when it appears that Ann Oliphant is perhaps widowed and living alone with Robert . Have you ever found either of them after that date?

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 August 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,
Yes I found the 1841 showing Robert and Ann, hopefully it is them.
I did find Ann in 1851 living at 2, Stirling Street, Glasgow with her 2 grandaughters Ann and Margaret and again in 1861 at 4, Stirling Street with both grandaughters.
Ann died in 1861 , her daughter Agnes ( Ann and Margaret's mother ) signed the death certificate.
I have found nothing at all for Robert, too many Robert Mitchells on Scotlandspeople to go through I'm afraid, and none with the name Robert Wark Mitchell.

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 August 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,
I did find Ann in 1851 living at 2, Stirling Street, Glasgow with her 2 grandaughters Ann and Margaret and again in 1861 at 4, Stirling Street with both grandaughters.
Ann died in 1861 , her daughter Agnes ( Ann and Margaret's mother ) signed the death certificate.
I have found nothing at all for Robert, too many Robert Mitchells on Scotlandspeople to go through I'm afraid, and none with the name Robert Wark Mitchell.
I have found Ann Oliphant's parents and siblings but can't find anything on her husband John Mitchell, they married in 1814 in the Cowcaddens district but the marriage does not show John's parents .

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 August 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

According to Freecen the 67 year old woman at 2 Stirling Street on 1851 Census is Margaret Mitchell  ??? and she is from Dollar in Perthshire.
Ann Oliphant on the 1841 is recorded as 45 (over 20 years younger) and born in Lanarkshire.
Ages and places of birth on the Censuses can be unreliable  :-\ However are you sure these are the same women?

Looby

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 August 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
I really am not sure if the Ann on the 1841 is the same woman, I have nothing to confirm it, but as you say my Ann ( Margaret ) was born in Dollar, I have all the records to prove this is my 3x gr.grandmother.

On her death certificate in 1861 it shows her address as 4, Stirling Street and her daughter Agnes was the informant.Her husband being John Mitchell. Her parents were John Oliphant and Margaret nee Bartholomew. I have found the information on familysearch to show her parents and siblings.

On the 1851 as you say she is shown as Ann and on the 1861 show is shown as Margaret, no idea why.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 August 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Skippy.

The enumerator must have taken down the wrong name for Ann in 1851 (maybe confusion caused by having granddaughters Ann and Margaret in the household too)  :)
The Ann Oliphant with Robert Mitchell on the 1841 could well be your Ann Mitchell.  Women in Scotland only assumed the name of their husband (still applies), they could always keep and use their own name legally, and I have noticed that many widowed women at this period did indeed use their own birth surname. Apologies if you know all this already  :)

Have you found all the other children of John Mitchell and Ann Oliphant? Is it just Robert who you can't trace?  He could have married, moved away, emigrated . Or sadly he may have died young.

Maybe someone out there has him on their tree :)
Good luck,