Author Topic: Where was Rose Ann Cullen in 1871 (b c1844 Ireland & d 1898 Motherwell) ?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
My gg grandmother was born Rose Ann Cullen, had 2 kids by John McCluskey (never married) & another 4 kids by Thomas Gunn (never married)  :-[

I have been searching for over 15 yrs for Rose Ann in 1871 & have not found anything close to date which is a complete mystery  :-\

1851 – Rosana Cullen, Penty, Shotts (home of her brother James Cullen)

1861 – Rosanna Cullen, 157 Kirk Rd, Cambusnethan (home of her father Peter Cullen)

1871 – Where is my GG Grandmother Rose Ann ??? …………her 2 kids, Rose Ann & John (each recorded as friend) are with their father John Mcclasky (sic) (Lodger) at 4 Brown St, Cambusnethan, home of her sister & brother-in-law Mary Jane & William Rane (sic), should read Kane/Kean/Caine or similar

She may have been using the surname McCluskey which has numerous spellings ???

1881 – Rose Ann Cullen, Washer & Cleaner, Smellies Ld, McAlpine St, Wishaw as Boarder at the home of Margaret Williamson

1891 – Rose Ann Gunn, Coalminer’s wife (although never married to Thomas Gunn), 11 Watsonville, Dalziel, Motherwell

I am cross eyed with scrolling through pages & pages, over & over again yet no closer to finding her 15 yrs on  ???

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Rose Ann Cullen in 1871 (b c1844 Ireland & d 1898 Motherwell) ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
What is it about the 1871 Scottish census that is sometimes so difficult to find people  :-\ It is often the one that I have trouble with too!

Annie, you are so good at this and 15 years  :o of searching!

I will have a look too but holding my breath and x my fingers really  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
Is this Rose Ann's immediate family here on this member submitted LDS tree? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:37WF-NJZ

Doesn't help with finding her in 1871 though!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked at the 1871 Scotland and found these 4 Roses;

Rose McCluskie age 30 St Mary's,Dundee,Angus
Rose Ann McCusker age 32 Bridgeton,Glasgow
Rose Ann McCusker age 30 Glasgow Central
Rosie McCusker age 37 High Church,Glasgow

I then looked at marriages and found the following:

Marriage:
28 June 1880 St Joseph's Chapel,Dundee after publication according to the forms of the Roman Catholic church.
John Clinton
ship plater
bachelor  age 20
64 Lilybank rd,Dundee
father:Thomas Clinton boatyard labourer (dec)
mother:Mary Barclay previously Clinton  ms Kerrigan

Rose Ann Cullen  x her mark
jute spinner
spinster  age 20
6 Algekness St,Dundee
father:Peter Cullen shoemaker journeyman
mother:Jane Cullen ms Geoghan
witnesses:John Farnham,Joseph Holder,Mary Ann Sweeny

I thought I'd send this just on off chance. When did she have the children with Thomas Gunn? I ask as I have a distant relation by the name of Thomas Gunn. Kim

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Annie, you are so good at this and 15 years  :o of searching!

Monica  ;D, Thanks for the compliment.................as good as my last search which is usually for others  ::)

A case of easier on the outside looking in rather then on the inside looking out I think  ???  ;D

Is this Rose Ann's immediate family here on this member submitted LDS tree? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:37WF-NJZ
Monica

Yes Monica,

That's some of my family..............mainly my Rose Ann's brother Patrick. If it's who I think it is, we have been in contact in the past & we exchanged lines  ;D

Blemdookie,

I did see McCusker but at the time it seemed too much of an error but maybe she was drunk when she gave her name McCluskey  ??? ???  ;D ;D  ::) ::)

Rose Ann was single in 1871..............she never married although both death certs. state married to Rose Ann Cullen & widow of Thomas Gunn ???

Children (Gunn)

Thomas c1876 b Motherwell
Mary 1877 b Windyedge Farm, Cleland, Shotts
Agnes 1879 b Greenhill, Shotts
Sarah 1881 b Cambusnethan

Any advance on the children would be good although I have a good amount on Sarah who married Robert Patterson in 1900 Dalziel, emigrated to Canada & had a good relationship with her half-sister my g grandmother Rose Ann Cullen (aka McCluskey)  :D

Rose Ann's parent's were Peter Cullen (c1811 - 1865) & Roseann Flannigan (c1811 - btwn 1844-1851)

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Joseph Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
RE. ENTRY 1851 – Rosana Cullen, Penty, Shotts (home of her brother James Cullen).
Penty was a farmstead in the western part of Shotts Parish (between the villages of Cleland and Shotts. In the late 18th Century flax was washed at Penty  Farm and taken to the nearby flax mill at Murdostoun. Here is a photo of the now derelict steading at Penty.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
SP has an entry for 1871 census in Cambusnethan for a 28 year old Rose Collins but I can't find the entry on Anc*

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I may very well be sending you off in the wrong direction entirely but, could this be the Roseann you are looking for?
Entry in the burial register at Cambusnethan cemetery, Wishaw.

Rose Ann McClusky. Housewife, Wishaw, aged 30 years, married.
Parents - William Cain & Mary Jane Cullen.
Intered in plot C447 on 9th December 1884.

Interred in the next plot at a later date -
James BD Cullen. Wishaw, aged 7 weeks.
Parents - William Cullen & Annie T. Moan.
Interred 7th February 1914.

Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Motherwell Times April 5th 1895 records that Rose Ann Cullen or Gunn, had choice of a fine or three days in prison for having been drunk and incapable. Have you considered she may have been in hospital or prison at time of 1871 census, possibly recorded only by her initials.

Motherwell Times February 13, 1886, police court item about Rose Ann. The writer was, ahem,  quite descriptive regarding her expression and vocabulary. She was to be fined or sent to prison at  Duke Street http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSG00017 for 10 days. The writer seemed to be about to imply she would have been better sent to Gartnavel http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSG00023.   

Motherwell Times March 27, 1886 also has a police court item about Rose Ann and refers to her as 'the terror of Watsonville' (the area she lived in with Gunn). She seems to have been sent to prison for 40 days this time.

Thomas Gunn snr looks to have also had a few run ins with the police court, and at least one for Thomas Gunn jnr.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .