Author Topic: Why would an Irishman be in Wales 1853?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline mackaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why would an Irishman be in Wales 1853?
« on: Friday 03 April 15 02:52 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone knows the history of what was happening in the early 1850's.

I have James MOUNTAIN being arrested in Bedwellty, Wales on 4 June 1853.  His son Thomas was baptised on 4 July 1851 in Dungarvan, County Waterford, Ireland.  So sometime during the two or three years prior to 1853 he travelled to Wales.  I am interested in knowing if this was for work or military or what the reason may be.

If anyone could point me in the right direction please.
TIA
Melanie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Why would an Irishman be in Wales 1853?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 15 03:01 BST (UK) »
Possibly looking for Murphy's (spuds).  ;D. But seriously, these were the years of the Great Irish Potato Famine, so possibly he had gone looking for other family, or work, to help support family back in Ireland. Things were really bad, people were dying and ill, with serious deprivation,  and there was mass emigration going on.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

You'll need to choose the other option when you get to the above link.  It's just picking up the same from that page.  I tried it twice before I twigged!  Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Jeanne😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 15 07:47 BST (UK) »
The iron industry was booming in South Wales at that time. It needed labour and that was supplied by immigration from other parts of the UK. Accordingly there was a very large Irish population in and around Bedwellty. Plenty of information online if you Google.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline mackaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 15 05:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your suggestions Jeanne and Imber.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
in the 1851 Welsh census , are two James Mountain are either your James ? but I am having trouble with my computer this pm, I doubt if either james is the right person.  Searching for a Thomas Mountain came up with John Mountains family but it might have been badly reported in whatever you have read.  I got this census off my Genes Reunited membership.

1. living in the hamlet of Ebbw Vale New Colliers Row Bedwellty Monmouthshire is John Mountain  a Rail Straightener also within the iron worksb 1819 from Waterford with his wife Ann b 1818 Cork and children inc a james Mountain aged 9 ie b ~1842 in Waterford, together with a cousin from Cork one Johanah Mountain aged 22 b 1829 co Cork  together with a brother Michael..............  and a brother William b~1829 Waterford.  Johns father Michael b 1796 Waterford is also living there.   In 1861 the same family live in Pembroke Street Aberdare  in the Parliamentary Borough Merthyr Tydfil
The above family includes a Thomas b1850-1b Bedwellty
2.  The second James is slightly older, son of  Patt and Mary Mountain from Ireland lived in Wales before the 1841 census having at that stage a James Mountain born in ~1838. In 1851 they were living in Chapel Street
Merthyer Tydfil Glamorganshire But I couldnt find them in the 1841 census. James senior and most of the other occupants of the area were Rail men.   I believe this is within the Iron works.
Sorry thats all I can offer JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
Not only steel, all through south wales the coal mines were booming at that time. There was a massive influx of Irish families from the 1840s onwards into s wales trying to escape the famine in Ireland, but even before that many Irish were employed in construction, and as navvies on the canals and railroads.
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland