Author Topic: Grocer's Shop, Kinson  (Read 7068 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grocer's Shop, Kinson
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Can you post the full names of your family who livd in "Grocer's shop in various census???

There were no members of your family living in the Grocers shop (I posted some details) - that was the Grocers shop in East Howe village parish of Kinson

I since have found Grocers Shop in the village of Newtown Parish of Kinson - there are at least 2 Grocers shops - neither of them had the White family in 1871 -so there may be other Grocers shops - if you can post the full name details it may help locate which shop they were in (also in 1881/91)

I live in Wallisdown which is next door to Kinson Road and East Howe. I am puzzled by the reference to Newtown, which is some 2 miles south of me in Poole. In the late 19th century was that part of Kinson?

1871 it was the village/Hamlet of Newtown which was in the parish of Kinson

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
In 1871 the following were listed at the Grocer's Shop:
James White, wife Elizabeth and children Elizabeth, Maryann, James, Samuel, John, George, Alfred and Ellen A (Ref 1986/35/1)
In 1881:
1. Richard Harvey, wife Rosanna and son Arthur (Ref 2094/107/83)
2. George T Budden, wife Charlotte, children Lena and William, father William and brother Luke
(Ref 2094/87/44)
3. Not sure about the address. My relative Lydia Eliza Newman is one of the servants of the William and Maria Symonds. Their address is Prospect House bracketed with Grocer's Shop. The adress above is Victoria Row (Ref 2094/95/59). My relative is on the following page, the address showing is Prospect House. I assume they all lived under the same roof.
4. Louis French, wife Martha, children William, Frank, Amy Jane and Harry James (Ref 2094/22/7). The only location apart from the address on this page is Canford.
This is the full list of Grocer's Shop inhabitants in my tree in the Poole area. Hope it helps.
come back to me if you need more info.
Regards
Linna
Dorset/Hampshire:
Newman, Fry, Hancock, Hoare and Budden

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
In 1871 the following were listed at the Grocer's Shop:
James White, wife Elizabeth and children Elizabeth, Maryann, James, Samuel, John, George, Alfred and Ellen A (Ref 1986/35/1)

Regards
Linna

1871 James White -wife listed as Eliza A (not Elizabeth) -children as posted are at the Grocer's shop in the village of Kinson - the Grocer's shop details I posted earlier were the grocer's shop village of East Howe parish of Kinson

It may be that your relatives were not at the same shop in various census
Will check them now

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
Just had a look and don't think each shop is the same one
Richard & Rosanna Harvey at grocer's shop -located next door to the Heath School next but one to the school house and other side of the shop next  but 2 to the Pottery Tavern Public House in Parish of Kinson (reg dist Poole sub reg dist Canford

1881 George t Budden and family at Grocer's shop previous address given as Newtown similar reg dist to above

1881William & Maria Symmonds had 2 lodgers and servant Lydia E Newman
address at top of page Victoria Rd
Then School house
Prospect House Grocer's shop
then Heath cottage
wonder if this is the same shop the Whites were at in 1871??

1881 village of Canford -Louis french (occ baker) & family George Riussell visiting -1 female servant  -location Independant Chapel -2 dwellings Grocer's shop 6 dwellings - Bradstone School House for girls and boys

Hope this helps locate one of or more of the grocer's shops

Suz

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 18:49 BST (UK) »
I can find more sense in a Grocer's shop in Newtown;it adjoins Parkstone where there is certainly more property which would have been built in the second half of the 19th century. Most of the property in the area of East Howe is modern, at least 20th century so it would have been something of a trip from Kinson village to buy groceries at East Howe.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
1871 there is a grocer's shop in East Howe
I think there were at least 2 in Newtown

Suz

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz

Thanks for your help. It seems there were plenty of places to shop in Kinson and the surrounding area. I am slowly getting to grips with where things are.

Linna
Dorset/Hampshire:
Newman, Fry, Hancock, Hoare and Budden