Author Topic: East Wickham Hutments, Bexley  (Read 4921 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East Wickham Hutments, Bexley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 January 18 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for being stupid, but I cannot see a death for an Edith Cowling age 83 in 1969 - what am I doing wrong?

Presumably you have asked if Bexley have ER's for the Hutments?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
You mention 2 children, but there was a third Cowling/Hargreaves birth in 1929, is that related?

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes  but he died I  1928

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
How can he die in 1928 if he was born in 1929?

Oh, Brian born 1927 died in 1928.

Edith's death in 1969?

Do you think Edith was actually born in Woolwich, or elsewhere?

Offline kateyas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
Now the Aussie mad season is  more-or-less over [I've lived in the antipodes since 1967] I have rediscovered the photos and map that the Bexley Historical Archivist sent me but cannot attach as the file becomes too large. If anyone is interested in them I can try and find a way to post them - unless someone out there has a quick answer to that.
  Although my ties to The Hutments has long gone [Mum died in 1991], I have been very interested in the little history that's been told by you all on this page. My parents seemed to speak fondly of the area, and there was never any hesitation in telling me that I was born at home in Commondale Rd [in 1937].
Thank you all for putting it out there, and if there are others whose oral or written histories include snippets about The Hutments, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks.
kateyas

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 January 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, If I do have more time for research on this thread and get anything new about the Hutments I will post it. As for the mysterious Edith the fact that after WJE Cowling death in 1959 she continued to work for Ms Serle for a short time she then moved in to 3 Philipots (Blunts Road), Eltham  Woolwich into what was an Alms house, makes me consider that that might be the area she was from and some connection to be able to get an Alms house. She must have been placed in a nursing home prior to death as that is where she died on the death cert, which was registers by someone else living in a nearby almshouse, This same neighbor organised her cremation. To find her identity might be a job of elimination that would take a lot of time, somewhere there was an Edith, if she used her first name born in 1885 if she used her correct dob that ended up with WJE Cowling
Thanks all Carol

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 January 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
If the date of birth is correct and and place of birth was Woolwich she would have been registered in the first or second quarters of 1885 there.  If she was Edith with no other names, then free bmd only shows 7 girls with no second christian names.

Births Mar 1885 
Baker    Edith    Woolwich   
Bond    Edith        Woolwich   
Births Jun 1885
Green    Edith     Woolwich   
Harting    Edith     Woolwich   
Hartury    Edith   Woolwich
Percival    Edith    Woolwich
White    Edith    Woolwich

Contact them to ask about specifying a birth date to obtain a birth certificate?

Added:
Edith Percival born, I think, February 1st (baptised 18th March at St Michael and All Angels, Woolwich)

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks chempat for the list , the reg office is now Greenwich and they advice on their site to use the GRO for certificates, does not look like a helpful office like some I have used. I will use your list and see if I can eliminate any names before I apply for certificates or it could be a costly business.