Author Topic: James Davies (David) Llansawel  (Read 3056 times)

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Davies (David) Llansawel
« on: Friday 03 April 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
I have traced my Davies ancestors back to  James Davies who died at Ffoesgotta farm Llansawel in 1867.  His death certificate gives his age as 86, and the census records him as born in Llansawel.
He  is described as James David in some of the Baptism records of his children but James Davies on his marriage record in 1805 and in later records.
The only Baptism of James that I can find in the Llansawel register in the right time frame is 1783 James son of Lewis David of Hafod Wen.

I am not sure where to go from here and would appreciate any help.

The Llansawel register only goes back to 1750 although there are apparently some earlier Bishops transcripts in the National Library.

1. Does anyone know if Hafod Wen was one of the farms of the Edwinsford estate?

2.  In the 18th century, they may well have been using patronymic names in Llansawel.
What name should I be looking for, as regards the Baptism of Lewis David in earlier registers?

3. Anywhere else I could look?

Advice appreciated.
 :)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Davies (David) Llansawel
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
my advice would be to look at as many resources as you can to build up a picture of the family. The wills at the NLW are an invaluable resource and can be accessed online

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

There is a will for Lewis David of Ffosgotta in Llansawel written 15 Feb 1788. He makes bequests to
son David Lewis
son Thomas
daughter Mary
daughter Ester
niece in law Mary Richards
grandson Owen David (under 18 when will was written)
son Harry is the executor

Harry Lewis is living some distance away when probate was sorted out. Harry then makes his will 9 Jan 1798 and makes bequests to
brother David Lewis
brother Thomas
sister Ester Morgan
sister Elizabeth Gwynne
sister Mary Evans
nephew William Thomas William
nephew Owen David
Anne Jones of Blan Dyfyn
cousin John Richard

Your James could be the son of David Lewis who was the son of Lewis David. I'm not having much luck with the Llansawel parish records at the mo. I'll see if I can find more later.

Don't worry about the David/ies variance. That's not uncommon even in the 19th century and patronymic names were still in use in some arrears in the 1830s & 40s. I've seen instances where one sibling was using patronymics & another wasn't. Makes things fun!

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 April 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this; its been very useful and made me rethink things a bit.

I was aware of this Lewis David at Ffoesgotta.  Firstly, because in the National Library of Wales catalogue,  there is a reference to a tenancy agreement (I think in 1749) to a Lewis David (from Llanybydder) starting the tenancy at Ffoesgotta. Then the first page of the Llansawel parish register records the baptism of Lewis David's daughter Elizabeth in 1751, with the birth of son Lewis two pages later in 1754.  To get earlier than this for the older children, I think I would either have to go to Aberystwyth to use  the available bits of the Llansawel Bishops transcripts at NLW, or possibly look at LLanybdder registers .  Finally there are the wills.

But my problem was (and I think still is) that I am not really been sure if this Lewis David and his descendants are truly an ancestor - because I don't fully understand the patronymics system of names and how it was used at this time.

My reckoning was that the son Lewis baptised in 1754 would be named Lewis Lewis.  Certainly there are subsequent records of Lewis Lewis in the wills and then at the neighbouring farm Pantyiauiau, and finally being at Ffoesgotta in the early 1800s and being buried in Abergorlech in 1817. 

I previously discounted this Lewis as the ancestors of James David, as I didn’t think he could be the father of James David as he is called  Lewis Lewis, not Lewis David.  I didn't think of the possibility of the brother with the names reversed.

James Davies (my ancestor) was  at  Ffoesgotta in the 1850s as a tenant famer.  From parish registers and censuses, I think he was born at Hafodwen, farmed at Banc when his children were born, then lived at Rhydglyn prior to living at Ffoesgotta.  He was a deacon at Bethel chapel in the 1850s.  His son John Davies farmed next door at Blaenresgair from about the 1840s and the Davies family are still at Blaenresgair.

I knew about the wills you mention but couldn’t previously really relate them to "Lewis David" the father of James.  However reading Lewis David’s 1798 will again (more carefully following your email) makes me rethink some of this, and perhaps as you suggest David Lewis could be Lewis  David. 

In the 1798 will Lewis David (senior) leaves “£5 to my son David Lewis” and then later in the will leaves some livestock “to my son Lewis”.  Harry Lewis’s will leaves “£10 to my brother David Lewis” and then later makes a bequest “to my brother Lewis Lewis”.   
This makes me believe that Lewis David Sr had four sons Harry, Thomas, David Lewis, and Lewis. Could this David Lewis be the Lewis David referred to as father of James in 1783 - or would he be called David Lewis Lewis??   This is where my knowledge of Welsh naming traditions lets me down.  Do you have any advice / experience with  this?  Does it happen that the names could be reversed? 

I’d really appreciate help on this point.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
it could just be a coincidence of common names that this family was at Ffosgotta at an earlier date. The 2 wills are the same family though there seems to be something odd with the dates of their administering. Perhaps the will of Lewis David hadn't been sorted out until Harry was on his deathbed. There's a possible burial of Lewis senior recorded as Lewis David Lewis 29 Oct 1792 in Llansawel. No places of abode recorded to help with identification.

I would have expected that the baptism for James would show his father as David Lewis but it shows as son of Lewis David. In which case, why is it indexed as James David? The indexing on a well-known commercial site isn't great and it could be worth a trip to the NLW to search the registers.

A quick explanation of patronymics here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/sites/themes/society/family_03_welshnaming.shtml
& more here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=67385.0
I tend to mentally put 'son of' in between names so Lewis David Lewis would be Lewis son of David son of Lewis. But it's one thing to understand how it was used and another to work out the families in the parish registers.

Land was usually leased for 3 lives, so the lease for Ffosgotta would have on it Lewis David, Harry Lewis & another one from possibly the younger generation. Before I found the baptism of one of my ancestors from the 1720s, I knew his age as he had been added to a family lease & his age was mentioned.(I did find his baptism in a neighbouring parish)

Strangely I found another family who were at Ffosgotta in later years who had previously been at Rhydglyn.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rgabbyg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have come across Ffoesgotta and a Daniel Davies in the later part of the 1800s. I have only just started and I'm looking for a Helena Davies who married Sydney Spackman around 1905. We think Helena is my cousin's paternal grandmother. Do these feature in any of your trees please? I may be completely on the wrong track as there are many Davies's, Harries and James etc. in West Wales.